Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2017 line subobj ring selection problem...

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
punchface polycounter lvl 6
What's up with the ring selection? I can't shift and left-mouse to select a ring anymore. What's the deal?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Editable Spline? What is the "line" you mention? A screenshot would help, as would more information.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a line segment that exists between two verts and is part of the lattice that allows faces/polys to exist and create topology. No screenshot necessary. I can't "select ring" using shift/LM when box modeling. :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is called an edge in 3ds Max. Edge rings depend on topology for the selection to work. A screenshot of your model might help. But more importantly it would help to understand what a ring is, and what it isn't.
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-814BADD4-9D5A-4B01-ACB1-CBAD8D1026E4-htm.html
    More info:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Subdivision_Surface_Modeling#Primers
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edge then, my bad. I knew that. I've known it for years. I don't know why in the hell I had a brain fart and didn't call it "edge".

I know exactly what an edge ring is vs. an edge loop. My loop select shortcut in Max (a double left mouse click) works just fine. It's the ring select which is a shift/click that's not working. But whatever I'll go ask somewhere else. :) 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok give up then, jeez. You want us to diagnose your problem, but you provide minimal info, and no screenshot. Good luck finding an answer.
  • Pac_187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    They added a new "feature" to 2017 where you can do a poin to point selection, it's pretty borked since they put it on the shift key...

Maybe this video will help you get used to it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgQEgM1CUF8

The thing is, do you happen to work with "Preview Selection" ON? Because this will break the whole feature as well as ring selection (hoooray -.-)

• punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac 187, tks for the link. I watched that vid last night. I played around a bit with the function but yeah, like you, I think it's pretty borked. I just want my friggin' shift/click selection function to work the way it has for years and years now. I don't need poorly implemented feature-bloat. The documentation at Autodesk suggests that shift/LMB should continue to work the way it always has but it's not working and I hate having to keep going up and actually pressing the damned "ring" button.
  • Pac_187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure this is turned off:
    http://i.imgur.com/NQsNRme.png

Then it should work. If it is, you might be pressin keys in the wrong order, which is important in this case...

Select edge -> hold shift -> select edge next to it to do ring/loop

Dont't hold shift when selecting the first edge, this will trigger point to point selection.

• punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, okay, preview selection is already off and then I followed your instructions really slowly and precisely regarding the order in which the shift key should be held down etc. I treated myself like I was a total idiot and had to do it twice or three times before I got it right. It doesn't work. It doesn't select the ring. In any case though, this functionality would be a "work around" or an alternative to what I actually want which is to have basic old ring select trick to work.
  • Pac_187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I guess you're left with mapping ring selection to a hotkey, nothing else I can think of, other than reporting this to autodesk and hope for a bug fix... :(
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh. My. God.  Sighh....now it's working the way it always except for one difference which is the edges light up yellow before I actually select.

I didn't do anything. I didn't change anything. Nothing!  This is all voodoo! I wasted both of y'all's time and my own time! It's like my computer has faerie spirits in it or something that were just trolling me!
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeebus...not it's off again for no reason. This sucks so hard. Get your shit together, Autodesk.
  • Mr_HuffnPuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah... I've been having all sorts of drama since changing to 2017.  I found that shift clicking for ring only works randomly, something to do with what view/viewport your in but i cant establish a consistent relationship, it works sometimes in a view then it stops working.  I got around this by mapping ring to 'SHIFT+R'.  But this is certainly not the only issue im having with 2017, seriously considering going back to 2016.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It LOOKS to me (at this early point in using the update) that Autodesk's 2017 update that gets called 2017.1 has made edge-select work better. I'm not sure but initial impression suggests that maybe the problem has been dealt with. I don't have 2018 yet but I'd hope that the problem would be fixed in that version of the software. :)
  • Pukey82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pukey82 polycounter lvl 9
    Hello guys, i have to chip in. The problem is still persistant here in Max 2018.  I have found a somewhat of a workarround before i get a reply from Autodesk.  

So: When you select an edge,and then Shift + click to a neighbouring edge,and it does not select the whole ring as it normally should, then do this:

-Jump to "face selection"  mode,and select any quad/face.  Then jump back to "edge mode" again and then it should work. Works for me at least.

NOTE: For me, The "Shift + Left-click Select ring" method initially doesn`t work on any separate object in my scene,but after i do this process ,then it continues working normally.  So,you have to do this little mini workflow on each of your scene objects. Luckly takes like a second. 

My version is most recent Max 2018 on Windows 10   
  • danieljhatton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danieljhatton polycounter lvl 4
    So. I created a keyboard shortcut for 'ring'. I used Shift+R which works nicely after selecting first edge. I also pulled off the Modify Selection Tab on the modelling tools at the top of the screen, along with all the others which then gives me quick and easy access to the ring button which does the same. 
  • Rex222
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I was having a similar issue when trying to Shit+LMB on a polygon to get a polygon loop selected.  It was no longer working for polygons or verts. But if I collapsed my modifer stack down to an "editable poly" it would work fine. 

If I ever add an "Edit Poly" modifier on top of that it will stop working again - despite using this workflow for years.  Eventually I resorted to the ol "create a box and attach my mesh to it, then delete the box" trick and it solved it.  I can now get polygon loop selections again with SHift+LMB in both editable poly and edit poly modifiers.  Hope this helps others who stumble across this.