Home Technical Talk

Model Sharpness

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
CrisisMode polycounter lvl 2
Hi everyone,

I have been teaching myself ZBrush over the last several months.  I have noticed that my models seem to lack a certain sharpness, they seem sort of doughy around the edges.  One of my models from months ago, someone commented that it looked doughy and I feel like I am still seeing this.

Here are my last 4 models:  https://crisismode.artstation.com/

It would be nice to get some feedback and maybe some idea(s) about what might be causing any doughiness or lack of sharpness.  Is this a technical error, something I am missing?

My workflow is generally Dynamesh with alot of clay brushes and the move tool --> ZRemesh --> And then working in Subdivs

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    The main problem is that you aren't fully resolving the large and medium scale forms before switching over to detailing. As an exercise, try working on some sculpts where you never move on to detailing. Keep working the bigger forms until they are clean and deliberate.
  • CrisisMode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, this makes sense and I will try that out.  It's a matter of really building the forms up with a clay brush then?

I think I have been misunderstanding something.  I am learning my anatomy and I save defining muscles and shapes for the detailing stage and by using the DamStandard brush.  This seems to give strange and unnatural results.  What I should be doing is really building up with clay in the early stages?  

I noticed in Grasseti's anatomy tutorial that his muscles are pretty defined even in the early stages (base mesh)... I can't seem to get close to his definition.  Is he most likely caking way more clay onto his model than I am?

Thank you again!
  • snoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7
    Personally I use the clay buildup or clay tubes brush at low resolution to form muscles properly, along with smoothing them out and paying attention to the direction of the brush stroke so that it forms the proper topology (takes many strokes and a lot of quick undo's), and using how smoothing works in this way to my advantage in forming shapes. I only use dam standard at this resolution if I need to outline the muscle structure or otherwise carve into, rather than build on, the mesh (I mostly just build on to it).
  • CrisisMode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @snoop
    Thank you, I do see that this is where I am going wrong.  I feel like I just took 10 steps back now.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    You didnt take steps back. You took one forward - you just learned something! 
    Don't get discouraged. Most progress starts with the feeling of a pushback :)
    "The obstacle is the way" 
    https://www.amazon.de/Obstacle-Way-Timeless-Turning-Triumph/dp/1591846358/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488526628&sr=8-2&keywords=the+obstacle+is+the+way

You can also try using stuff like TrimDynamic brushes, or anything else than can help you define planes.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Its a question of training your eye and then learning how to control the software to reach a result you are satisfied with. If you keep up with the software and after a year look back at the your work you should see exactly what your friend described. The pinch brush also with alt pressed can help define your forms as well.
  • CrisisMode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Spoon

I am excited to try defining areas with trim dynamic after work and thank you for the book recommendation!

@kanga

I will try pinch brush tonight.

I did some exercises last night where I stayed in dynamesh to define muscle shapes and was surprised to see how nicely that worked out after I built them up for a bit.  I'd like to try pinch and trim to give those shapes more definition.  I had been using DamStandard with strange results.  

It seems like there must be a better way to carve out and define areas as I build them up, hopefully pinch and trim dynamic can do this.

Thanks again everyone.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Actually, if you are going to buy a book, I can recommend "Mastery" by Robert Greene. Or even "No excuses" by Brian tracy
  • Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    Don't neglect your masking tools. Dam Standard, pinch, and trim can all easily distort adjacent masses. With masking you can stick to your clay brush and get a consistent look while carving in and building out.
  • CrisisMode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, thanks again for all the tips and advice.  It has all been very helpful.  Here is a model i worked on tonight while taking these tips into account.  It is still in the Dynamesh stage.  I used pinch and high polish to highlight and define areas of the head and face.  He started at 64 res dynamesh and I bumped it up to 128 after alot of move and clay build up brush.  The mouth area looks strange because I would plan to finish that in Subdivs.  Also, I am not confidant with neck muscles yet but I did my best.