Home Technical Talk

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Prime8 interpolator
I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned the new GeForce 1080 Ti yet.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080-ti/

Sure it is very pricey, but I'm curious about it's performance for gaming and CUDA.
Not sure if I will get one or just a 1080, since the price is going down now.

What is your opinion about it?
Planning to get one? Not interested at all? Waiting for Vega?

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    From what I've read it's extremely close to the current Titan card (minus 1GB of VRAM), so just look at benchmarks for that and you'll have a good idea how it'll perform.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Going to wait for an Nvidia HBM 2.0 card.

I'm hoping the higher memory bandwidth will be a huge perf increase for Substance Painter. 
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    PolyHertz said:
    From what I've read it's extremely close to the current Titan card (minus 1GB of VRAM), so just look at benchmarks for that and you'll have a good idea how it'll perform.
    They actually used a bit faster memory and the card should be clocked a bit higher. The regular 1080 and the 1060 are also going to get a bit of a memory boost going forward, I guess the GDDR5x chips have matured since the Titan XP came out.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    m4dcow said:
    PolyHertz said:
    They actually used a bit faster memory and the card should be clocked a bit higher. The regular 1080 and the 1060 are also going to get a bit of a memory boost going forward, I guess the GDDR5x chips have matured since the Titan XP came out.
    That I read as well, though unlike the Titan X we can expect to see custom cards which might be overclocked even.

beefaroni said:
    Going to wait for an Nvidia HBM 2.0 card.

I'm hoping the higher memory bandwidth will be a huge perf increase for Substance Painter. 
    Substance Painter performance depends so heavily on the type of memory on the graphic card? Are you sure about that or you just want to wait for the next generation to have more power in general?
  • ingbue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ingbue polycounter lvl 5
    I am interested in what the performance differences there would be between a GTX 1080 Ti and a Nvidia Quadro P6000?
    Which one would be the best choice for a professional setup, and why?
    And would they have different performance for game art vs visual effects gpu rendering?

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    ingbue said:
    I am interested in what the performance differences there would be between a GTX 1080 Ti and a Nvidia Quadro P6000?
    Which one would be the best choice for a professional setup, and why?
    And would they have different performance for game art vs visual effects gpu rendering?

The P6000 is the full GP102 chip, whereas the Titan XP and 1080ti have parts or the chip disabled. I'm not sure whether the P6000 is faster than the 1080ti, but it is definitely faster than the Titan XP according to http://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-quadro-p6000-and-p5000-workstation-gpu-reviews

Whether faster memory on the 1080ti brings the performance in games past the P6000 who knows. The Quadro drivers have never really been game centric either so even though it might be the full chip, in gaming the 1080ti might be close.

There is also the fact that you could buy 8 1080tis for the price of 1 P6000 so I don't really think getting one is very practical.
  • ingbue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ingbue polycounter lvl 5
    m4dcow said:
    "...Tere is also the fact that you could buy 8 1080tis for the price of 1 P6000 so I don't really think getting one is very practical."
    Would a nVidia VCA be compatibile with the GTX 1080 Ti, or are they only compatible with quadros? If yes, then getting 8 x 1080 Ti's in a VCA would be epic (although far from what  I can afford)...
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    ingbue said:
    m4dcow said:
    "...Tere is also the fact that you could buy 8 1080tis for the price of 1 P6000 so I don't really think getting one is very practical."
    Would a nVidia VCA be compatibile with the GTX 1080 Ti, or are they only compatible with quadros? If yes, then getting 8 x 1080 Ti's in a VCA would be epic (although far from what  I can afford)...
    Since Geforce cards aren't compatible with quadro drivers, I doubt they would be compatible with VCAs.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    ingbue said:
    m4dcow said:
    just build your own...
    http://tomglimps.com/7_gpu_workstation-1000_octanebench/