Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tristana's hand cannon fanart- a concept to 3d printing project

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Vegard_Klausen polycounter lvl 7
Hello Polycount!

I've come to realize that my documentation for any of my 3d work is lacking to say the least, so I'm starting this smaller project to try and get better at noting down every step of the way. If anyone has any feedback and/or critique on how I present my process, please let me know! :)

Introduction

I've wanted to create and print something for myself for a long time now, and now that I have a printer service available locally I don't have any excuse to prolong it.
while I have some experience with 3d-modeling, making something for printing is a new workflow for me. I know some of the limitations such as angles and bridges, but I expect to hit a few roadbumps along the way.

For this project I wanted to recreate League of Legends character Tristana's weapon of choice, her hand cannon "Boomer" and place it in a tabletop weapon stand display.

Official game art © Riot Games

References

Luckily I found a lot of awesome resources directly from the source. Her visual update was introduced with some concept art obscured in the background, but still readable for the most part with the exception of the bullet holes.
Official game art © Riot Games

Lining up the standing gun and taking references of the low-poly in-game model I had a nice line-up of reference for creating a clean reference for myself.

I also found some gun stand references, but wont rely too heavily on them, as my stand will also be 3d-printed and I want to incorporate some of league of legends stylized design into it as well

I then went on to draw the reference images of the gun. The handle wasn't easy to read in any of the concepts, so I used the 3d model to make an isometric reference. Did the same for the hammer mechanism.

Now to start some low poly modeling in maya before moving onto a high-poly pass in zbrush.

Replies