Home Career & Education

What I need to prepare before school start?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Miho-Chan vertex
I apologize in advance if I posted in the wrong spot.

I will be attending 3D Modeling, Art & Animation program at BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology) around April and I wish to do some preparation to get my study a head start. 
What kind of preparation is recommend?
Do I still need to practice traditional 2d drawing? 
I have already started to learning Maya and Blender. 

Replies

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Miho-Chan said:
    It sounds like you have the right idea. Ultimately your goal is to graduate this school with the ability to produce game art, so getting a head start on both the programs used and the art theory will only help.

2D drawing is still helpful to do even in 2017. It makes it easier to communicate visual ideas in the workplace when you can draw effectively on a napkin or a whiteboard and it trains your mind to pay deeper attention to forms, lines, lighting, composition, really everything to do with the theoretical side of the job. It makes you a stronger artist overall than if you never do it.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I recommend keeping a sketchbook as a light discipline.  Use it to work out ideas, observational drawings, etc.  Helps keep the blade sharp for minimal effort compared to 3D art.
  • Miho-Chan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miho-Chan vertex
    Miho-Chan said:
    It sounds like you have the right idea. Ultimately your goal is to graduate this school with the ability to produce game art, so getting a head start on both the programs used and the art theory will only help.

2D drawing is still helpful to do even in 2017. It makes it easier to communicate visual ideas in the workplace when you can draw effectively on a napkin or a whiteboard and it trains your mind to pay deeper attention to forms, lines, lighting, composition, really everything to do with the theoretical side of the job. It makes you a stronger artist overall than if you never do it.
    Thank you Amsterdam Hilton Hotel for answering my questions!  Now I understand why the school I will be attending require a portfolio as part of the student selection process.  Now I got a pretty good idea for what I need to spend my time on.  Appreciate your help! 
  • Miho-Chan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miho-Chan vertex
    I recommend keeping a sketchbook as a light discipline.  Use it to work out ideas, observational drawings, etc.  Helps keep the blade sharp for minimal effort compared to 3D art.
    Thank you, Brian!  I will go back to my sketchbook again! This is a pretty good idea.