Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beginner - please give critique of my portfolio

Aran_3D
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Aran_3D polycounter lvl 7
Hey, first time posting here. Feel free to give me any advice and be honest. Last one is a WIP but thought i might as well.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    The Gas Station:

1. The bump mapping on the ground is too intense. The ground texture also doesn't match the scene. You should be using a pavement or possibly dirt material (assuming this is some kind of rural/abandoned place).

2. Lighting is very simple. If this is a scene at night, lighting should be coming from many directions. The one you have only looks like a single point light was placed in the scene and not much else.

3. Why does the building look so thin? Did you model it off a reference? 

4. The background is very empty. You have a fence but there's nothing really behind it. As well as the fence's proportions look too huge.
  • Aran_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, I did not model off a reference per say just looked at images.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Aran, hows it goin?

The second picture is zoomed out way too far. I can't appreciate the textures.

I'm having trouble figuring out what the third picture is of. Maybe some kind of space ship interior?

It would be cool if your portfolio pictures were uploaded onto something like artstation, and then you could create separate projects which included several renderings, plus breakdowns of the materials and UVs and wireframes and the like. Instead of creating something with multiple props, like a gas station, I'd suggest focusing down on a single prop and putting a lot of effort into it. Maybe something like one of the gas pumps, and really go hard with amazing modeling and texturing.
  • Aran_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually have the images on artstation here : https://www.artstation.com/artist/aranahmed

Thanks for the feedback, I will work on putting more emphasis on one model, I thought giving the props context would help place it in a scene but I didn't do a good job lighting to show them well.