Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Scene Ever! Extremely Beginner, Please Critique!

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
DinkleDonker polycounter lvl 4
Still learning how to use tools and just kind of playing around with things to see how they work. Definitely need work in all departments. Just wanted to go for a simple low poly hand painted scene.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • annah847
    Offline / Send Message
    annah847 polycounter lvl 2
    I think the scene is dark as well, but more than that, the lighting is a bit flat, there is no strong key light in the scene to provide good shadows, also there are no highlights on most of the objects. Another thing is that the materials seem like they are all the same. the rock of the cave, should be a slightly different material than a polished surface of the carved rock items in the front, or the vases. Also you should consider using normal maps to add more detail to the objects. as for composition, you wouldn't want to cut off the top part of you structure like that, especially when there isn't much at the bottom of the scene. The whole scene looks a bit monochromatic, so consider adding some variation in colors.
  • DinkleDonker
    Offline / Send Message
    DinkleDonker polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks a bunch! Lighting was something I really struggled with, and I ended up just fiddling with it until I got something I could live with, I really don't like the way the lights came out. It was meant to be a night scene originally. I agree there is too much negative space, I couldn't figure out what to fill with. Maybe some cacti to get some more color variation. I also thought about adding some torn banners above hanging from the rocks, but I figured that would make the cave look more inhabited than I had planned. Anyways, I'll continue to work on it!