Home Technical Talk

Max/GoZ/ZB: A Problem Concerning Texture Faceting / Flipped UVW Faces - Thank You

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pwwka polycounter lvl 4
3DsMax/ZBrush. (I've GoZed a couple of times which, I've heard, can cause such an issue.)

I've spent many hours looking for a solution, but either people confuse the problem with flipped normals (a completely separate issue) or the issue remains unresolved. A solution is given here involving (3DsMax):

1) add a new poly modifier and flip all the polies that are inverted on the uvs
2) add a new uvw unwrap
3) then add a second edit poly
4) flip the poly's back to normal on the model
5) and drag the unwrap uvw on top of the stack

This solution doesn't seem to do anything for me, and I'm not literate enough to fully understand the process being attempted.

THE QUESTION:
In 3DsMax, xView shows the offending UV faces, and UVW xForm Modifier lets me flip UVW faces for an object, but how do I flip individual UV faces ? How do I avoid this problem in future?

It seems like such a simple thing, so I can only assume I'm missing something obvious.
I thought I was on the home stretch of an ambitious build...
Thank You for any replies, people: It really is very much appreciated.

Replies

• Pwwka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pwwka polycounter lvl 4
    Well that issue's been solved.
    I thought I had tried (Zbrush) UVs>Cycle UV, but obviously I hadn't, because that solved the problem.
    I had to hit it twice for each subtool.

My best guess as to what causes this issue is mirroring an object in 3DsMax before GoZing back or exporting as obj., but I'm happy to be corrected.