Home Technical Talk

How do I assign a material to different UVs in 3dsMax for Unreal Engine 4?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Sabre363 polycounter lvl 6
Hi,
I'm trying to use the deferred decals in Unreal. I created a decal sheet and now I need to have two materials for it. One for the Normal Decal and another for the Color Rough Decal. Unreal doesn't like it if I split up the mesh that the decals go on, so one plane for the Normal and one for the Col. The best I can come up with is to use two UVs on one mesh. With each UV having a different material assigned to it. The issue is I cant seem to assign a material to a specific UV in 3dsMax and export it to Unreal. I've applied two Unwrap UVW modifiers and switched one to channel 2. I then made two materials and set one to channel 2 as well. Then I applied each material to selected selecting the UVW modifier that I wanted the material to be applied to. I cant find any way to see if the materials are being applied correctly or if Unreal doesn't play nice with the UVs with different materials. I am new to 3dsMax, so its possible I'm doing something wrong. How are you supposed to apply two materials to two UVs? Is there a better way to do the decals?