Home Technical Talk

Quick Ncloth question

HeatIce
null
Offline / Send Message
HeatIce null
I was modeling a bowtie for a small character project and I thought I'd get fancy and use the chance to learn a bit of Ncloth since I just started maya less than a week ago. My question is regarding the thickness attribute on the collisions settings of the Ncloth. Do I need to set something other than 0 if my model already has a thickness or do I have to set it to some value? I've tried tweaking it but I don't really see much difference (except that it clips through my collision ring when I increase it too much)

Attaching a screenshot of my model, the black bits are due to ncloth

(The final model will have more subdivisions, this is just me messing about with it)

Replies

• TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    I would suggest not having thickness to the mesh when simming. Ncloth will generally go crazy and just not sim properly.

Remove the thickness that you have extruded, add nCloth to the mesh. This will become the input mesh. Once you have done that, extrude the mesh. The thickness that you extruded will not be taken into account because it is last in the history stack, therefore nCloth won't go nuts. After you are happy with your results, cache it out.