Home Career & Education

Learning 3D/breaking into the industry next to a full time job?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone

I'm new to the forums, game dev/art. I already found a lot of inspiring threads, so it's really cool to have an active community.
To get to my question listed in the title:

I am 23 years old and I just started learning Maya and UE4. My goal is to become a 3D Environmental Artist. Now, I work in a full time job, so when I come home I dedicate my time to learn the craft. I heard/read that it's pretty tough to get into the industry. So what do you guys think? 

It's necessary to have the fulltime job. I live in Switzerland and everything is quite expensive. So to pay rent, food, basic living etc. I have to get the money income. I would love to break into the industry and design the art for games. I find the scene really interessting and exciting. It takes a lot of time and effort, but is it worth it? Or, do you have any advice that I could follow? 

Thank you so much for the reply!

Replies

• Cerenios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cerenios null
    I'm in the exact same boat with you. I'm 25, full time work and doing 3D games stuff when I can. It's so tiring and crushing at times, especially if you're unmotivated on a precious day off. I had a mini break down over 'wasting my time' yesterday. I find allowing yourself the rest and pacing yourself is best. I can't answer your "is it worth it" question though, since I'm trying to break in too! I've just been in the loop of full-time work + tiny tiny progress for a year now. So I'm interested in what answers you get!

This is also my first post ever on a game dev form :) 
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Welcome to the forums @YF_Sticks!
    I think you're off to the right track that you're working a full-time job while working on improving as environment artist. 

When it comes to getting into the industry though, especially when it comes to games it really depends on your portfolio and it needs to be top tier.  The best answer I can give to your "is it worth it?" is to compare your work to the studios you want to work for and ask yourself if you want to put in the time and effort to get your skill to that level.  

Although i think improvement is crucial, I think it's good to do something that you'd enjoy doing while learning. Because what's the point of becoming an environment artist if you're not enjoying it?  :wink:
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the reply @Joebewon :)

That's true. To become really good at it, there needs to be a big time investment. I was just thinking, maybe someone started out the same way and made it to a great studio and a job that he loves. 

The enjoying is crucial as well for me. Also that helps your motivation and improvement. So we'll see what happens. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)