Home Technical Talk

Maya instances broken?

MichaelF
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MichaelF polycounter lvl 11
Hey, so i have always used Maya instancing a lot when creation characters. But it seems that since 2016 ext 2 it has been broken, meaning it crashes to the point where its unusable.
I have been having this problem for a long time, but i haven't found others with the same problem. I have tried it on colleagues computers, my home and work computer, also with a fresh install (also including 2017) with clean prefs. i have submitted a bug to Autodesk, a long time ago, but now answer. 

My typical workflow is to have a group with the right side of the character/asset, then run a Duplicate special  -1 in the x axis as an Instance.

After that it's only a matter of time before the first fetal error arrives. it can be selecting a vert, cutting an edge, even smooth preview.

This is resulting in that i don't use instances at work, and work in Maya 2016 at home, not really optimal :/

Is anyone having the same problem? and/or knows the solution to the problem?

Best regards

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use instancing often, also in 2016.5 without any issue, but I don't typically do any "heavy" modeling like a full character, smaller stuff like props. It may be helpful to work the instance for shorter times, and occasionally delete and remake it?

I assume you're clearing history sometimes as you work? Are you instancing a group or the mesh transforms? Are you using namespaces -shot in the dark with that question.

quick edit: have you checked your viewport 2.0 prefs? There are options for GPU instancing and consolidate world that might help.
  • MichaelF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Thanks for the answer.

At work, it's not heavy modeling, sub 3k tries.

In maya 2016 im able to work for forever without thinking about history or polycount, but from ext. 2 and up, it crashes, a lot- a lot.

I'm not using namespaces, and i have tried everything within veiwport 2 prefs.

Im thinking it could be related to graphic card? im using at work we are all on geForce and that's also what im using at home.

I will do a test to day working in the legacy viewports. its a long shot :P
  • MichaelF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update. 

After you said that it worked for you, i started to test it again. i have it working in the legacy viewports. So it's a viewport 2 issue for me. 
    I still find it odd that i can't find anyone else with the same issue. 
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool that it's working for you, but eww. :)

Maybe it's something in your method? One person having the same issue on different hardware is pretty specific. Maybe there's some OS/GPU/Maya tweak that you have made at home and work that's working against you? Maybe you're just cursed?