Home Career & Education

Does game/toy/film companys hire you, when they see your portfolio? Without Apply

Farina
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Farina polycounter lvl 4
Hello,

i have a very big question about the situation.

I mean, what I know is, that everybody have to apply on a company with the private portfolio. But...

For example:

I make 3D Characters and work for freelance, or only make it as a hobby. (EXAMPLE). Someday i get a mail of a famous game company and they ask me if i could work for them.

Is something like that possible? I mean, which one of these guys of a company look in the internet for portfolios and people, which didnt apply? Thousands of 3d artists try to apply on a game company and the companys have soooooo muchhh choices, so why it could be, that someday a guy from a game company look in the internet and see your work and ASK you, if you want to work for them? And the problem here is, that they dont know, how your life is or how much experience you have, so why they asked people to work for them? 

Its the same that i have seen a lot of 3d artist, who work as a freelancer for really big companys like blizzard or to make one model. But WHY Blizzard ask them to work for them, if Blizzard have soooooo much selection and own Employees????

So summarized:

1. Why companys asks freelancer to work for them, whether they have own Employees?

2. Could it be, that a freelancer or only a person who do 3d characters, who posted really good things on artstation or polycount get the attention  of Game Companys (or Toy or Film) and they say to the 3d artist, that they want, that you work for them, WITHOUT knowing what you have done in your life or which kind of personality you have or this or this or this?

Tadaaaa!

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    It's usually a lot easier for companies to just go on to artstation and find good artists themselves rather then searching through thousands of applicants which will be at various experience levels.

I'd say from my experience when you are looking for people you first ask around with employees and artists you have worked with before, after that you might search and ask artists that have portfolios that match the job, and the last thing you do is to run ads.