Home Career & Education

moving overseas matter of skill or expierence

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
sziada polycounter lvl 11
I see there are a lot of studios with relocation packages for senior positions, I have had a few jabs at overseas jobs and generally get told your work is good but we went with someone with more in house experience. I know there are costs that are involved with relocation it isn't cheap. The issue is the location I am working is dessert when it comes to jobs and the outsourcing companies I work for supply little to no work nowadays. what is the solution to obtain this experience I seek. 

Replies

• Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Just joining in here to see answers. 
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    overseas as in the us? in general it is pretty hard to get into the united states on a work visa. the amount of visas is limited and right now, under the current administration, nobody knows where this is going. I read about minimum payment for working visa type of jobs will be 130k per year, thats a lot for the minimum requirement.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    overseas as in the us? in general it is pretty hard to get into the united states on a work visa. the amount of visas is limited and right now, under the current administration, nobody knows where this is going. I read about minimum payment for working visa type of jobs will be 130k per year, thats a lot for the minimum requirement.
    Really? I had an art test for a studio in the states recently and they liked my test, but they said they wanted someone with more experience to justify the move. Which is why I'm kinda asking this. I had no idea the base Salary was 130k, that's insane amount of money. Kinda makes me more motivated to get it. 
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Sziada, I think you read what he wrote wrong. He was talking about the sponsorship fees that your employer would have to pay to just get you the work visa (130k does sound excessive though), that fee is on top of the other taxes and benefits that an employer has to pay, such as salary, health insurance, etc. That's why the experience factor is so prudent, because those moves are an incredible investment.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    I was not talking about the sponsorship fees, which of course add on top of your salary.

http://www.mensxp.com/special-features/today/34723-the-h-1b-visa-revival-bill-has-increased-the-minimum-salary-requirement-to-130-000-and-it-s-not-a-good-thing.html

This is very recent and not done yet but it seems like there will be some changes going on.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Oh that's my bad. Yeah, chances are you'd have trouble finding anyone willing to pay that much for any art position.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its frustrating because it was hard enough already to get a job in the USA, I am looking into Canada at the moment or Europe, but I like the studios in USA as most of my favorite companies are based there. I know Canada is fairly simple to get into especially for Australians. I can get a work permit without too much hassle and just move over there if need be. I have some big personal projects this year that I'm hoping to get some studio's attention. 

Its just frustrating that achieving my career goals just gets harder as the years go by.