Home Technical Talk

3dsmax Bones stick to floor when skinning

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
rightBrainer polycounter lvl 4
So I've been building a rig for this model which needs to be duplicated in the scene. When I apply the bones to the skin modifier on my model, it looks fine, as can be seen on the right. But then when I make a copy of that model, as seen on the left, the bones jump to the floor and warp the model. I'm guessing this has something to do with Resetting Xform, (I can be mistaken) but if I were to do that on the rig, it would mess up the entire build.

Does anyone have experience with something similar or know how I might go about fixing this without building an entirely new rig? Much appreciated!

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    To clone an entire skinned CatRig you need to select the CatParent(big triangle at the base of the rig)>in the modify panel click 'add rigging'>add your mesh with the skin mod>save the preset.

Now you can just create the skinned rig as a Cat preset as many times as you like with no naming/hierarchy dependencies.

Also, you can use the 'create character' tool to group the rig to a root node and merge it to the scene.