Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Trash/junk heap model? [help!]

Danemon
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Danemon null
Hi, I'm using Blender to model some background objects for a 2.5D side-scrolling game and one particular level has piles of junk (like a scrap-yard) that tower in the distance.

I'm just looking for some advice on how to model something like a scrap heap? The screenshot is of my WIP, and I've approached it by adding a simple texture of junk onto a "lump" shape and I've added a TV onto the pile.

Because the junk will only be in the background I'm conscious about keeping it low poly.

I'm just wondering how you guys would approach modelling an object like this, which in reality would be a pile of separate objects?

I'm fairly new to modelling for games. Any help appreciated!

Replies

• DragonGuard
    Offline / Send Message
    DragonGuard triangle
    I think your start is ok. If it's not viewed up close this is fine. Just make a pile you use as a base and then add some lowpoly models to it to break it up. Just make sure the base texture you use has some details in it as well. if you add a bunch of mixed garbage onto the tile, your textures should also be of a garbage pile that has some the same things in it, so it feels like it belongs there.
    I think this is a nice example that I quickly googled.
    The pile texture consists of dirt/rubble and the peices sticking out are also pieces of broken concrete and such. it's believable because you can imagine seeing something like this at like a bombed building or something.
    httpwwwsquad3dcomPP_D2RPPluta_D2R_Rubblejpg

I would make some basic models like bottles and other junk (a tv, cans, bottles, wood, metal, whatever really) that you can use a few times and stick it into/onto the pile to break up the silhouette.
  • Danemon
    Offline / Send Message
    Danemon null
    I think your start is ok. If it's not viewed up close this is fine. Just make a pile you use as a base and then add some lowpoly models to it to break it up. Just make sure the base texture you use has some details in it as well. if you add a bunch of mixed garbage onto the tile, your textures should also be of a garbage pile that has some the same things in it, so it feels like it belongs there.
    I think this is a nice example that I quickly googled.
    The pile texture consists of dirt/rubble and the peices sticking out are also pieces of broken concrete and such. it's believable because you can imagine seeing something like this at like a bombed building or something.
    httpwwwsquad3dcomPP_D2RPPluta_D2R_Rubblejpg

I would make some basic models like bottles and other junk (a tv, cans, bottles, wood, metal, whatever really) that you can use a few times and stick it into/onto the pile to break up the silhouette.

Thanks a lot for the reply, that has helped a lot actually. I think it might be a matter of making sure I have a decent quality starting texture for the base and working my way upwards from there, in terms of adding smaller detail like you said. Other objects in my level will include wires, telephone poles, radio masts and possibly broken arcade machines so I could easily scatter these throughout.

I'm probably best off sticking to having a more rocky/concrete based pile to begin with.