Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback and ideas on a small map made in Unreal Engine 4

gEo47
null
Offline / Send Message
gEo47 null
Hello Everyone. So for my university assignment for this semester i have to write a really big research paper on how level design affect immersion. I have build really fast a small map which I am going to use it to collect data from play-tests and write my paper. Right now i am thinking of adding a small story backround and connect it somehow  with the environment. Any ideas would be appreciated. I could possibly record a small video so you can hear the audio too but for now here are some images : 

Replies

• DragonGuard
    Offline / Send Message
    DragonGuard triangle
    Reminds me of Kilingfloor a bit. I would personally try playing around a bit with some fog and lighting to try and seperate your planes out more, creating some more depth. if I look at your first image it's all a bit same-ish and it all blends together a bit. Use light and atmpospheric perspective to create depth and guide the player/eye to where you want it to.

I made a quick paintover in photoshop of what i mean.

I seperated out the different planes by tweaking the brightness and contrast, added some fog to help with this as well. Also added light to the stairs and in front of the vending machine to draw the eye a bit more to "where the player should go". Lighting is super important for getting a mood right and imo it's not easy to do, still learning and practicing this a lot myself in unreal4.
  • gEo47
    Offline / Send Message
    gEo47 null
    Reminds me of Kilingfloor a bit. I would personally try playing around a bit with some fog and lighting to try and seperate your planes out more, creating some more depth. if I look at your first image it's all a bit same-ish and it all blends together a bit. Use light and atmpospheric perspective to create depth and guide the player/eye to where you want it to.

I made a quick paintover in photoshop of what i mean.

I seperated out the different planes by tweaking the brightness and contrast, added some fog to help with this as well. Also added light to the stairs and in front of the vending machine to draw the eye a bit more to "where the player should go". Lighting is super important for getting a mood right and imo it's not easy to do, still learning and practicing this a lot myself in unreal4.
    Thank you very much for the feedback and the effort you did in order to show what you mean. I will try out this!