Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Fury's Horse, Torment - Darksiders Fanart

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Caiterade polycounter lvl 3
Howdy! 

If all goes according to plan i'll be making Fury's mount from Darksiders, Torment. Neither are shown in game but they appear for a hot second in the comics.

Feedback welcome. I have no idea what i'm doing :'D Taking him to 3d now.

Replies

• RocketBryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    @Caiterade
    Certianly, everyone has to start learning somewhere, right? :)

Just grabbing something from one of my Artstation 'likes' - Singer Ko's "Vixsyn" model is a pretty good example of what I'm referring too. You can hover around in his Marmoset scene to get a good look for yourself and you can see in the screenshots below how he's collected individual strands and hair clumps together to create a cohesive structure to Vixsyn's mohawk. You can certainly break up the clumps further to be able to distinguish smaller strands, but keeping them together means you can describe the entire 'chunk' of hair with a much lower polycount. You can see he has smaller bits that fly away of the main structure of the hair, but he only has to retopologize some of those. If you were to keep your horse's mane as it currently is you would have to get in there and try and break every single one of those pieces to build your lower res mesh. That's not only incredibly time consuming, it can be super fiddly trying to get in underneath those strands to where they're intersecting with each other.

So ultimately, my suggestion is to groom the hair into a collected style with some nice variation in shape and size of the hair clumps.

....Unless of course your plan is to do hair cards/alphas for your lowpoly, in which case that's a very different process.  :D
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Caiterade
    Certianly, everyone has to start learning somewhere, right? :)

Just grabbing something from one of my Artstation 'likes' - Singer Ko's "Vixsyn" model is a pretty good example of what I'm referring too. You can hover around in his Marmoset scene to get a good look for yourself and you can see in the screenshots below how he's collected individual strands and hair clumps together to create a cohesive structure to Vixsyn's mohawk. You can certainly break up the clumps further to be able to distinguish smaller strands, but keeping them together means you can describe the entire 'chunk' of hair with a much lower polycount. You can see he has smaller bits that fly away of the main structure of the hair, but he only has to retopologize some of those. If you were to keep your horse's mane as it currently is you would have to get in there and try and break every single one of those pieces to build your lower res mesh. That's not only incredibly time consuming, it can be super fiddly trying to get in underneath those strands to where they're intersecting with each other.

So ultimately, my suggestion is to groom the hair into a collected style with some nice variation in shape and size of the hair clumps.

....Unless of course your plan is to do hair cards/alphas for your lowpoly, in which case that's a very different process.  :D
    I see the benefit of alphas/hair cards but my personal preference is sculpted shapes for hair x) Unfortunately it would appear my taste leans towards things that are always the most time consuming lol
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Not too much more to report. Scrapped the hair and i'm going to focus on that for a bit. I did a silhouette comparison and i'm not too crazy about how he looks in context with the others so i'm probably gonna push some things.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    omg staaaahp.

i have a serious love for Darksiders. I'd always considered making Fury, and i loved how well partnered the horses were to the riders. You're killing this :D 

Having thick chunky hair is cool, but i would consider having placed alphas along the edges so you can make it look like there are some loose strands along with the chunky stuff. 
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg staaaahp.

i have a serious love for Darksiders. I'd always considered making Fury, and i loved how well partnered the horses were to the riders. You're killing this :D 

Having thick chunky hair is cool, but i would consider having placed alphas along the edges so you can make it look like there are some loose strands along with the chunky stuff. 
    Psssst. You should ;) Thank you!
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been struggling with how i want the mane to chunk out. I think i like how this direction is feeling. I love chunky defined hair. I know alpha cards are the way to go but ahhh. I just like sculpted in hair. I'm just terrible at it lol
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Okay so a bit of a before/after comparison. I thinned out the blocks of hair because the thickness gave it a pretty pony vibe and i just want thin tendrils. Figuring out the flow is so hard x_____X
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I rebuilt his bridle in max so it'd be way cleaner, and added buckles and keepers :) HAve to decide an emblem to put on his bit.
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Body progress.
  • KellyJohnson3DArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KellyJohnson3DArt polycounter lvl 6
    Looking so awesome thus far!!! It's amazing. :) 
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking so awesome thus far!!! It's amazing. :) 
    Thanks girl!
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Nothing too crazy to update with. Went in and detailed the leather portions of the bridle. I wanted to really damage the leather - the idea being the bridle was once a very fancy and well crafted headpiece but has significantly decayed and weathered over time. If i didn't oil my horse's bridle it would crack and flake off sorta like this. I think i might have dug in a bit too deep though. Thoughts?
  • KellyJohnson3DArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KellyJohnson3DArt polycounter lvl 6
    You could play with even damaging that sucker up more, like he has really has been through something or has been using his leather for quite some time. Other then that no it's not dug too deep. Keep going!

The paint job on that leather could be really torn, dirty and old.