Home Technical Talk

How were Pokemon Go models made and animated ? Looking for a tutorial

Viorith
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Viorith polycounter lvl 5
Hello,
I don't want to make pokemon specifically, I'm interested how they were "colorized"- they looks like materials with animated textures ????
I wanted to learn more about a technique like this but google was not helpful in that regard

edit. Pictures:
http://pokemongolive.com/img/vid-still.jpg 
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/S97uuMKpsZXzQ70_lf-535aUHwN3pw98veYbHR0CduoNCD7nt9QuBqTPXrk916mNwnJ1=h900
Cheers

Replies

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Hi. I think you'll get more replies if you post a few images showing those models, this way people can just look and comment.
  • kwyjibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwyjibo polycounter lvl 7
    It's been a while since I looked at pokemon go, but i'd guess each monster has 2 texture maps, one for lit color, and one for unlit color. There is a fixed light vector used to blend between the 2 textures. ie. facing the light uses the lit texture, not facing uses the unlit texture. That way they can have some color variation across the value range. Then there is then an additive rim light to give a highlight around the edges. Alternately they might just have the one texture but have some parameters in the shader to pick a tint color the shaded regions. That would be my guess anyway.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    @kwyjibo 's explanation is, I think, the most plausible way they handled the rendering.  One other method could be just one texture for sake of memory (the game is a pretty small compressed download), and then set to world lit but supports emissive with a really small amount of ems in use.  Then using the rim light as previously mentioned, but the key ambient being the "HDRI" that is auto generated.  The ems could even just be replaced by a boosted ambient gloss value to give a flat-ish look, driven by the "HDRI" so the ambient colors match env.