Home Career & Education

Continuing 3D work after a break

PordyPates
null
Hi guys. Hope you're all well.

Last year I finished my studies (Games Design at university) and was in a position where I was unable to continue spending all of my time practicing 3D and had to be an adult and find a full time job. Although I was successful in finding a job, it was not related to games or environment art like I'd hoped for. After living with a long commute and very little spare time, I moved home and am now in a position where I can make room for 3D work again in hopes of building my portfolio and eventually starting a career in the field. 

I just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation going from basically living and breathing 3D art to not practicing for a long period of time and getting rusty. Does anyone have any tips on how to get myself back into the field and being able to build on it whilst also being in a full time job? 

Thanks

Replies

• Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    I think a good amount of artists on here face the struggle of working on their art while juggling a full-time job.  And the best thing I can recommend is time management and create work you want to do.  Or if you're lacking in those skills to create what you want find out what steps you need to take to get there.  

I can't recommend this site enough:
    http://www.dustinbrown.com/blog

Dustin Brown is a rad character artist who has helped out a bunch of folks here on polycount (me included) when it comes to this problem.  There's a bunch of sources on there when it comes to making the time on creating work.  

Good luck and keep creating!

• PordyPates
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PordyPates null
    Thanks Joe, I'll take a look at his site :smiley: