Home Technical Talk

Help w/Testing Out This Scene For Similar Problems?

gene098
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gene098 polycounter lvl 6
Hello all,

For some reason when I select 3-4 vertices along the mid point of the model and press W to use the move tool,

The move tool will always freeze Maya for about 50 seconds, and afterwards I can move those verts around without lag

and every time I select new vertices once again 50 seconds wait...

I tested the move tool on some primitives like sphere and cylinders 3-5 of them on the same scene and no problem...

(I also proceeded to test out my saved file on 1.20.17

VS

my recent one from 1.31.17

And it still had the same problem

...and I couldve sworn I was able to use the move tool without lag back then but right now it lags also...)

Heres the file, could you guys check if the same thing happens to you as well?

____________________________________________________________________________________
http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/area-b201/39384/1/1.31.17.rar

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a very, very long construction history, and most likely your issue. Edit>Delete By Type>History. What's going on behind the scenes with those, is that every new thing that you do gets passed through that whole node chain for processing.

As a side note, I'm not 100% positive about this, but objects in maya should start with a letter. your namespace for the head is "_2" which may cause you a headache at some point.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gene098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much!
    How can I check my history

Also if it really does save my history to that extent how come i can only undo my moves about 9 times or so?
    PS) Someone told me turning on the construction history button would actually help me speed up from the lag of having a high poly model visible while doing retopology? Is that whats causing this?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can see the history nodes in full via the attribute editor, or a quick view in the channel box. The number of undos is set in the preferences in the Undo header.

Construction history is a nice thing to have, but also a double-edged sword. Edits you make are live and re-editable, with history off, you can't continue to tweak a bevel for example. The downside is that it isn't very "smart" at reading through the history, so you usually can't rely on being able to edit that bevel after a series of edits that affect the same polygons as the bevel did. Many of us are in the habit of clearing history periodically while modeling.

I'm not sure about having it on solely to combat lag in that way. If the viewport was lagging from the number of polygons on screen, there's not much you can do aside from upgrade hardware. I noticed that you have the high poly head as a GPU cache, that's your best bet for managing scene poly count vs performance.
  • gene098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can see the history nodes in full via the attribute editor, or a quick view in the channel box. The number of undos is set in the preferences in the Undo header.

Construction history is a nice thing to have, but also a double-edged sword. Edits you make are live and re-editable, with history off, you can't continue to tweak a bevel for example. The downside is that it isn't very "smart" at reading through the history, so you usually can't rely on being able to edit that bevel after a series of edits that affect the same polygons as the bevel did. Many of us are in the habit of clearing history periodically while modeling.
    "Edits you make are live and re-editable, with history off,..."

So when history is off, edits I make are live and re-editable...
    what does that mean?
    _______________________________________________________________________________

"The downside is that it isn't very "smart" at reading through the history, so you usually can't rely on being able to edit that bevel after a series of edits that affect the same polygons as the bevel did. "

Does this mean that pressing ctrl Z wont help at a point = Need to go into the history nodes and manually press back?

Or do you mean that the actual history is corrupted when the same polygons are edited multiple times?