Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Batou - Ghost in the Shell

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Biomag sublime tool
This is my project for Adam Skutt's class at the GAi. Not completely finished HP, but at least at a point where I think it is shareable.

Replies

• theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Sweet! Glad to see you posting outside of the class too. Good to share. What do you feel you have left to refine on the highpoly?
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Hey Stoff :)

I wanted to add a shoulder holster and I am waiting for the next session's feedback from Adam or whatever else comes up :) I also will just take a look at it once more before moving on to baking just to be sure that it's really finished. So right now I don't have any specific target to refine, just the lingering feeling that something will come up. Maybe I will take some minor adjustments to the stitches on the jacket if they bother me the next time I look at them :D
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Finished holster and hands. Also added a close up of the pants just for sakes...

• Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Really good stuff so far @Biomag! I look forward to seeing more!
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    @Magihat: Thanks for the kind words :)
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    While I was fighting with X-Gen, hair textures and cards - gosh I hate that stuff - I got the final review in class for this one and put in the feedback. Now the high poly is finally completely done and I am moving on to hair and re-topo... I guess because of the hair it won't be going too fast...

Additional full res images of the sculpt can be found here -> https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Dzexe

• Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Life laid a egg into this project and delayed it for quite a bit, but I am still working on finishing it.

At this point the textures are mostly done, just some touch ups and clean ups left. The hair cards need some work more work before moving on to posing it. Jacket will be done afterwards, as I wanted to finish this version first.

• Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Finally finished this one. Still the jacket to go, but I will finish another project before that.

Full Size Pictures

• kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    I think you could've pushed it much further texture wise. The shirt pants and arms feel very "clean" maybe a slight roughness variation would be enough to do the trick.
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Hey kohg :)

Yes, I agree with you it would have been more interesting, but actually I was struggling not to do it. Batou is a policeman and former military, displayed (as far as I know) as disciplined. It seemed to me to make little sense that a guy like him, would dress like me using worn T-Shirts and pants going to the job. Keep in mind normally you see detectives wearing suits, so pushing the wear & tear didn't fit in my opinion. I actually added dirt as well as some tear on the lower part of pants, as typically pants get worn a lot longer and are more exposed around the ankles. But there is little excuse for a police officer not to put on a fresh t-shirt each morning :/

This is why I took the 'challenge' to keep it clean and closer to the idea of the character at the expense of easily add more interesting features.

In any case thanks for the feedback. I might go back and give it another try to add some more subtle wear&tear :)