Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[wip] Need advice for rig, vol preservation and uvs, please!

null
Hello, 3d n00b here,
I would like to have some advice for this mesh that I'm modeling (character in avatar), I would like to use it like a videogame mesh, but I've some doubts that I need to clarify.
Probably I'll be using Unreal Engine or Source Filmmaker to produce some video with this mesh, somehow.

As for now the model is in testing for basic movements so the rig isn't complete but I think that bends pretty well...

[in the img the weights are a bit broken because I did edit the topology many times in some parts, now is a screenshot for the neck-zone test]

But I searched so much in the web without a real aswer to my questions.
How do I make this kind of fur on the neck, affected by physics? I mean, it can be also fake physics like being affected by some other bones in the neck.
But as for the "wind effect"? What do I do? Do nCloth can be used for "solid fur" outside maya?
Should I rig groups of tufts? Or worst, should I change topology and separate the fur from the body?

Other than this, which solution would you recommend for volume preservation? I'm using those "fishbones" in the neck to avoid extreme stretch (nape) when looking up and compression (neck) when looking down, is that correct?
I've searched for days about these, maybe I'm doing something wrong with keywords.

Aside these main questions, any other advice is really appreciated since I will use this model for a long time before upgrading.

Lastly, would you recommend other software instead of Maya 3d for this kind of work? Like 3dStudioMax or Blender?

Thank you a lot for the time spent reading on this.

Replies

• LupoMarcio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LupoMarcio null
    Here I am again, I'm working slowly but I'll finish this for sure.
    Well since I got no response I thought I'll script something for the rig to simulate fur during animation, nothing dynamic, since I don't have much info on that.
    Now I'm in uv mapping phase... I made a temporary diffuse and a simple normal map for testing the seams.
    These are my results:

I think part of the uv map is wrong, and maybe i need to tweak, what do you think?
    I tried also something to understand the behaviour of the normal maps, and I got this:

Rendered with Mental Ray, there is any way to workaround this problem?

I tried this also in UE4 and normal maps are handled differently as I see, maybe?
    Normals here are rendered better but the seam don't line up for some reason :confounded:
    Would you recommend texturing with ptex and then transfer to uv mapping, so I can continue unwrapping the UVs while I'm texturing?
    Any advice of any kind? I'm still open for suggestions about rigging if someone is willing to answer.
    Thanks for reading.