Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Maya Renders: Prop Practice (Critique Welcome)

These are some objects I created for a class project (these aren't their colors in game these are just what I picked for presenting here).

Please feel free to leave comments and constructive criticism. Thanks!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    It looks like your props are all made of one mesh. Any chance for a wire frame? I'd suggest, when making a prop, imagine how the item would be made in the real world. It should be made of multiple meshes. That saves on polycount and simplifies the mesh :)

The table has a bevel on the bottom which doesn't match the bevel at the top, which looks funny.
    The book shelf has shelves which should be made of separate meshes (if it's meant to be made of wood).
    The tree's trunk is square, and the flowers don't really look like flowers, they just look like discs.

Right now, when posting up your stuff, I'd really suggest posting wire frames, because it would make it easier for us to tell you how to improve!
  • LeighMStone
    Thank you for the input! I kept these as one object because another member of my group is putting all of our objects into Unity for a test game we are creating and that was what he requested I do.

My team was trying to aim for a more 'cartoony' style with our objects so they asked me to keep the designs simple on all of them. In the future I plan to post more realistic looking objects that I make. I definitely want to try making flowers again, it was REALLY hard and I was on a serious time constraint (I only had a few hours to completely make and unwrap the entire bush plus the flowers)

I plan to post more in the future and will definitely post the wireframes next time! Thank you again for the awesome advice! Do you happen to know how to render an object with the wireframe showing? Or would I be best off finding a tutorial on it?
  • joshmtyler
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    I believe he means that you combine all of the pieces into one object when exporting for the game. Unity does not require you to keep all of the verts merged. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    @LeighMStone No problem! What I mean is that the table should be made of 5 separate meshes (this might be the case, I can't see the bottom of the table). You can then export as one single object. I'd suggest checking out youtube for rendering wire frames, that'd be better than me explaining it step by step on here.