Home Technical Talk

"...mesh with zero number of vertices and polygons." Zbrush dynamesh error.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ZangZing polycounter lvl 4
Hello, I have got that problem sometimes. I make highpoly in 3ds Max (, and sometimes when I try to dynamesh it with DynameshMaster, this window appears

I checked my geometry in 3ds Max, and it's perfectly fine, no unwelded polygons, overlapping vertices, uncapped polygons. And when I import that "broken" part to another zbrush document, it dynameshes jut right.
This is the most random error I saw in my entire life, and it's making me furious.
My workaround is to export EXCATLY the same mesh to another zbrush file. But when I have got 40 subtools, and I try to dynamesh 39th and this happends... 
Any advices?

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm not experienced with the options that the Dynamesh Master plugin gives you, but generally when this error occurs in standard zbrush operation it is due to using a symmetry-based action on an uncentered model. For example, if you go to "mirror and weld" a subtool that isn't centered, and the default side of the center line that zbrush usually uses contains no polygons as a result of the objects positioning, then it will kick up this error. 

If your model has several subtools and Dynamesh Master uses symmetry and the default tool's center, I can see this causing that kind of error. It would also make sense why splitting the subtool into its own tool would also work (because it would then use its own center line, and not the rest of the tool). So I would start by investigating and playing with the symmetry. Try different options relating to it, maybe even visually isolate the object and use a temporary pivot point before running the operation. 
  • ZangZing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I will try this and that then.
  • ZangZing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to make an update: So you were right, thanks for help! I selected tool that was causing troubles, went to Transform > Set Pivot  Point, and then I could dynamesh it with no problems!
  • truemkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    truemkar polycounter lvl 3
    But even everything is fine with the scale and the symmetry and the pivot, this dumb pop-up appears when you try to dynamesh an object with SpotLite(suddenly!) is turned on. Just hide it by pressing Shift+Z and then dynamesh the subtool.
  • kingkadrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a reset x form in 3dsmax before export works for me, thanks.
  • batuhankksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Chances are the model is too small. I found that for the best dynamesh result the model needs to be at 2 XYZ Size. you can change it under geometry-->size. If you're using dynamesh a lot I suggest you model with this size and scale at the end.