Home Technical Talk

how to get variation in Library books ?

shubham kumar
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
i am working on a library scene and there are so many books . Is there any way to avoid repetition and get nice looking variation of books ?  i will work in UE 4 . 

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    You could create a texture atlas of book spines and layout all the book spine UVs to suit, thus creating a great number of variations.

Also, from a modeling/layout aspect, array the books with a lot of variation: different width and height/further in or out from shelf edge/missing books/slanted books/books laying flat in empty spaces of the shelf/etc.
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could create a texture atlas of book spines and layout all the book spine UVs to suit, thus creating a great number of variations.

Also, from a modeling/layout aspect, array the books with a lot of variation: different width and height/further in or out from shelf edge/missing books/slanted books/books laying flat in empty spaces of the shelf/etc.
    i can categorise books like  "  a single book  ,  a spine of books  and   a open book " and all three of this will have   three atlas's  like single book atlas , spine atlas , open book atlas and with this i can get more variation . what do you think?
    and how can i do this in highpoly lowpoly way because i want to detail  in zbrush and bake out maps ? 
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In general, when dealing with a ton of repetition like this, sometimes the best approach is to pull out a lot of the details that will catch the eye.  In addition to whatever other ways you add variation, it would be best to avoid contrasty, noisy spots that noticeably repeat.
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     Rogelio Olguin  advised me to create a material that changes colour when object is moved  
    basically like this video -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp6JQVHWeEw&list=WL&index=12   
    i think this is better and i can get even more variation and on top of this i can use a dirt tillable texture as world aligned texture to give better look .
    This is getting more interesting :smiley: