Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - subtracting without dynamesh

HTivey
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
HTivey polycounter lvl 8
Hello!

I need to subtract a high poly mesh but I don't want to dynamesh it as it compromises detail. Is there a way?

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    4R8........... :)

If you mean can you use the subtool boolean features without Dynameshing, then no.

There is a Meshfusion feature but it might not be suitable. And various ways of dynameshing/duplicating/projecting/etc.

Show us an image of what you are trying to achieve and help might be more forthcoming.
  • kanga
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yeah you would have to dynamesh at a high resolution not to loose detail, then if you want your mesh back to a form that can adjust sub d zremesh the result.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    you can try projecting the details back on, or you can model it in max or whatever.

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    this may be an old thread but i just stumbled accross the same "need"...
    how can it be that something so simple is undoable in such a great program like zbrush?! :D
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Look into subtool > project all. 

Whatever major changes you make to your mesh, duplicate it first and you can use that to project the details back on to the new one.

You can chop up the "projector" model into pieces if you only want details from some parts but not others.

This will seem like a lot if you haven't done it a few times, but it's really fast once you are used to it.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    how can it be that something so simple is undoable in such a great program like zbrush?! :D
    You could do it back then with dynamesh, you'd just need a high resolution or a proper model scale to preserve details. You can do it now with Live Booleans. 
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid said:
    You could do it back then with dynamesh, you'd just need a high resolution or a proper model scale to preserve details. You can do it now with Live Booleans. 
    I know the live boolean, but i dont quite understand how to apply a boolean without using dynamesh?
    "b" substract "a" with boolean, but how can i apply boolean to delete "b" without dynameshing it?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You either use the Gizmo to apply the boolean, or use the Subtool: Boolean menu (see step 6)
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid said:
    You either use the Gizmo to apply the boolean, or use the Subtool: Boolean menu (see step 6)
    oh boy, i was blind, thanks a lot!