Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Castle

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
stevenverx polycounter lvl 2
Hello,

*This is my first project on this forum. 
The castle was made with Maya, Substance Painter, Photoshop and Unity.
I wanted to use this project to get familiar with creating an environment for games in Unity and I wanted to start using substance painter. I am in my 2nd year of the game art course at college, so I am pretty new to everything.

The concept:

I've only created props and characters in Maya before, so I didn't know where to start. I decided to make everything in Maya, which was a huge mistake.

First version:

I showed this version to an experience environment artist, he suggest: Use the terrain tool, Make the buildings more interesting, create rock foundation for the castle and change the lightning.

Version 2

I showed him this version. I had to recolor the roofs, make the buildings less clean, change the texture of the wall and revamp the entrance. I am still working to use this feedback.

I am still working on this.

To do:
Change the center building
change the corner buildings of the wall
Change the texture of the wall

Change the color of the roofs
Create grass on the floor
Play more with the lightning

Feel free to give critique, I can use it a lot ;)

Replies

• stevenverx
    Offline / Send Message
    Removed the center building, I will make a church instead.
    And I changed the textures of the walls.

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, cool castle, and welcome to Polycount!

- Roof tiles could use some grime. They're also a bit too reflective. They also feel really flat and are cut off at the edge of the roof. The castle seems to be older (moss/mold on the wall), but so many things look brand new (dock leading to the entrance, roofs, door).
    - The entrance's brick texture needs to be scaled down a bit horizontally. If you look at the brick texture, there are bricks being cut  halfway through (if that makes any sense). A lot of the texture placing seems like you've taken a tilable texture and just applied it, and now there are a lot of places where bricks are placed/cut where they wouldn't be in an actual castle. There are also a lot of places where my eyes are drawn to repeating areas of the texture. I know its nice to create a mesh and just throw on a tilable texture, but in reality, this won't usually work. I'd try making one part of this castle, like a single tower, and put a lot of effort into the textures.
    - The tower closest to us, the base looks like it's below the water line?
    - The bricks of the wall have sharp edges. There needs to be some sort of bevel on this for it to be a realistic brick wall.
    - The rock base for the castle needs quite a bit of work. I'd suggest studying stone sculpting (if you're using ZBrush/Mudbox yet). The textures here could also use a bit of work because each 'section' of rock is a nearly uniform colour with no variation. I don't think the rocks should be so obviously separated as this wouldn't be a great base for the castle. I'd also throw some plants around here as well, such as weeds and the like.

It's a cool project. If you make more changes to it, tag me, I'd love to see updated. Please give us some renders of inside the castle too, it'd be neat seeing the courtyard and the like.
  • stevenverx
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, cool castle, and welcome to Polycount!

- Roof tiles could use some grime. They're also a bit too reflective. They also feel really flat and are cut off at the edge of the roof. The castle seems to be older (moss/mold on the wall), but so many things look brand new (dock leading to the entrance, roofs, door).
    - The entrance's brick texture needs to be scaled down a bit horizontally. If you look at the brick texture, there are bricks being cut  halfway through (if that makes any sense). A lot of the texture placing seems like you've taken a tilable texture and just applied it, and now there are a lot of places where bricks are placed/cut where they wouldn't be in an actual castle. There are also a lot of places where my eyes are drawn to repeating areas of the texture. I know its nice to create a mesh and just throw on a tilable texture, but in reality, this won't usually work. I'd try making one part of this castle, like a single tower, and put a lot of effort into the textures.
    - The tower closest to us, the base looks like it's below the water line?
    - The bricks of the wall have sharp edges. There needs to be some sort of bevel on this for it to be a realistic brick wall.
    - The rock base for the castle needs quite a bit of work. I'd suggest studying stone sculpting (if you're using ZBrush/Mudbox yet). The textures here could also use a bit of work because each 'section' of rock is a nearly uniform colour with no variation. I don't think the rocks should be so obviously separated as this wouldn't be a great base for the castle. I'd also throw some plants around here as well, such as weeds and the like.

It's a cool project. If you make more changes to it, tag me, I'd love to see updated. Please give us some renders of inside the castle too, it'd be neat seeing the courtyard and the like.
    Thank you very much!
    I started this project with no knowledge of Substance Painter. After I watched some tutorials, I downloaded some usefull textures from the Substance library and just threw them on it. So just threw tileable textures on a mesh. However I've learned to pay more attention to detail, I need to apply this more on this castle.
    The waterline is below the base, it looks like it's above because of the texture and water.
    The bricks of the wall already have a bevel, I will increase it ;)
    I still have no experience with Zbrush or Mudbox as well. The rocks in this scene are standard Unity assets. 

Thank you so much for the feedback, I can use it a lot!