Home Technical Talk

[3DS MAX] Mirroring Weights when skinning

FeastX
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
FeastX null
Hey!

I've been having some problems when trying to mirror my weights over to the other side of my character. Here I'm mirroring all my weights over to the left side : http://i.imgur.com/stGMBel.png

The result is this : http://i.imgur.com/zAkB6Sy.png
As you can see the result is that my left calf affects my right calf 100%, which is not what I want. The issue is only on my calfs, the rest of the model is fine.
I'm not in a CAT animation layer and my model is symmetrical in all ways.

Apart from that I've also had issues where 1 vertex in my hand just won't copy over to the other side.

How do you guys mirror your weights? Do you have a way of circumventing this, maybe some way to reset the skin modifier without losing all the work?
Because if I delete the skin modifier and create a new one from scratch (losing all my work) all these issues are fixed. So it really feels like a bug of some sort and nothing to do with my model.

Thanks for your time guys, really appreciate it!

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    The mirror weights tool usually works fine. It's always important to reset transforms/xform when finished modeling(before you move down the pipe to unwrapping and especially rigging/skinning) Have you done this?

You can save/load envelopes/vert weights from within the Skin mod. And there is also skin Utilities tools in the utility tab.

You could try saving the weights>
    delete the skin mod and reset the transforms/xform>
    reapplying a fresh skin mod>
    load the weights back in>
    try the mirror tool again.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Since it looks like the verts will mirror properly, but the skeleton isn't being matched (the joints are red, not blue/green pairs); make sure your skeleton is symmetrical, and the pelvis is at 0 on the X axis.