Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook : EtotheRic

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
Hello and thank you for stopping by! 

For my initial project here I want to post some progress on a personal project I have been busy with. In short, I am creating both a posed hig http:// h poly and real-time version of my Diablo 3 crusader with my transmog gear on. My goal isn't to recreate the existing in-game assets but to do a higher resolution version aimed at something like a current 3rd person type game with higher resolution assets. (think Darksiders style hack-and-slash)

First step was to sculpt a the high poly assets and create a nice posed render with a pedestal. The entire process I challenged myself to was to complete entirely in Zbrush and learn Zmodeler as well as try out some new processes. I succeeding in doing this with the exception of the sword, which for whatever reason was going crazy in Zmodeler, I think because I was working in both x and y symmetry modes which was causing some tools to do things like overlapping faces. In hindsight I could have just worked on a quarter of it then mirror and welded a couple times but in any case, it was just the base mesh I created in Modo and the remainder of the work was done within Zbrush. 

Replies

• EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And on to the real-time assets!

So in the past I've done a lot of texturing in Photoshop, Mari and 3D-Coat but have yet to finish something in Substance Painter. With that in mind I am using painter to complete all the texturing with some finalizing in Photoshop. I used Modo for all the retopology and UV work. 

UV layout (since this is just a personal project I have the luxury of not having to break this out into separate armor slots)

• EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I used the helmet as a quality and style bar. If anyone has suggestions or feedback, please let me know. I don't want to get super grainy or detailed with this as it is fairly stylized. I will be using this as a template for the rest of the pieces moving forward. I was pretty happy with how cleanly painter baked out all the maps. I ended up splitting the helmet into 15 separate pieces to do so.

Toolbag:

• EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished a few more pieces in Painter last week. I toned down the noise a bit on the painted metal portions and adjusted color values for a bit better contrast. It's really nice being able to share materials!

I spent a day or 2 in Designer as well going through a leather tutorial and making some of my own changes to it. I wasn't totally happy with the results so I didn't end up using it yet but ultimately I'd like to make some stylized versions of real-life materials.

• EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished texturing the rest of the parts last week. 

Right now I am working on the face and hair, then the pedestal.

• EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the face and hair painting. Also made the low poly pedestal, UVs and texturing. I'll be doing some polish in photoshop and modo then putting together a toolbag scene.

• EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting there. I still have work to do on lighting and some texture/geometry polish.  The lower body was a bitch and a half. This is the real-time model in Toolbag.

• EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm ready to call this done after what seems like forever. Added the final effects and lighting pass.

• EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started a quicker piece based on this concept by Hong SoonSang
    Currently just basic polypaint and Keyshot.

Currently I'm working on a low poly version before I make a nice posed, high-poly version with good materials and lighting. 
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still noodling along on this. Low poly render in Modo with Unreal nodes. I did the texturing in photoshop and substance painter. I added some subtle baked in lighting to the textures and some subtle toon shading layered above the unreal layers.

I got the skeleton set up as well but haven't had a chance to skin yet. I'll be working on props next.

• EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a polish pass on the model and textures. I dropped the cell shaded stuff, it was just adding too many hard edges. This is from Toolbag.