Home Technical Talk

Is headus uv layout worth it?

MujtabaYousuf
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MujtabaYousuf polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys!
The title sums it up. Actuall i am building a warship for a client. I want it to be game ready.
Is uv layout worth it? As i already have some experience in 3ds max.
It is  preatty big and complex model. So any uv mapping workflow will be pretty awesome. :smile:
Thanks! :blush:

Replies

• R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I'd recommend it. Combining it with some clean up in your 3d package of choice and it can be a very powerful tool. For hard surface models however, I find you can get pretty great results with 3ds max's default UVing tools.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Honestly, UV tools in Maya and Max have improved in leaps and bounds since the days when headus was truly revolutionary. I'm sure there are still some cool tools in there that you'd love, and that Max doesn't have yet, but for me personally, I can't imagine it would be worth it.
  • Daf57
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 greentooth
    I love UV Layout, I use it regularly per project. But it's an expense that has to pay for itself over time. I can't help but think it would not be worth the money for one project. Like Joopson said, Max has a very capable UV editor these days. That should do the job for you just fine. Save the dough for some new kicks! :)
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Agree with all the above. I've had UVL for years but have been using it less and less as Max's UV tools have improved so much. I have it set up with a bridge script and do still use it to give a final relax to shells but my recommendation would be to spend your money on Polyunwrapper plugin instead. It's very cheap and indispensable, in my view. I can't imagine Max's UV editor without it now.
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Polyunwrapper in Max made UVL obsolete for me. It was a great tool, but it just can't keep up with Polyunwrapper. It's like someone put warp drive in my UV tools. The asking price is ridiculously low for what it's capable of.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I've used Headus and it was great! However importing into Max broke the uv's apart. I tried to fix that but failed. I reckon sticking with Max's uv tools is the best way to go. Polyunwrapper sounds very good, have to look at that.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @kanga You obviously missed out on the Max>UVL>Max pipe script, mate. :) Seamless one-click solution. It makes UVL essentially a part of Max. Works perfect every time. As I mentioned above, I still do use UVL for relaxing. If ever I've changed a finished, unwrapped asset slightly while bake-testing I'll just click it into UVL, Hit......F,F,F,F,F,F,F,F....on the shells, and click it back to Max. Takes about 10 seconds. Its relax still is one of the best and does that extra few % compared to Max's algorithm.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @kanga You obviously missed out on the Max>UVL>Max pipe script, mate.
    Aha! Must have missed the memo :blush:
    Cheers