Home Adobe Substance

Any ideas how I could make a pattern follow a curve?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
capone polycounter lvl 18
I'm absolutely stumped on how I could achieve this, don't think I've come across anything like it in any tutorial. Is it just something that isn't possible yet? or perhaps it could be achieved with something like directional warping?

Replies

• rohMizuno
    I was able to achieve similar results by using the "Tile Sampler" node and a painted flow map.
    That is the result:

Problem being that is really hard to had them evenly apart from it other, but if that is fine by you, here is how I did it:

1- I painted the flow map fr the shape in mind by using substance painter (I am pretty sure there is similar work flow on Photoshop).
    https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Flow+Map+Painting

2- I bring both my baked normal and a B&A mask of the shape to substance painter and plunged both on a tile sampler node. The normal goes to "Vector Map Input" and the shape to "Mask Map Input". I also had to invert my green channel for the normal map, but it might not be the case for you.
    (if you really need to keep the graph light you can use the inverted blue channel from the normal map as your mask).

3- After that you can plug a custom pattern in to "Pattern Input", it would be a simple rectangle in this case.

4- As for the tile sampler settings, it really depends what you are trying to achieve, but the core idea for this to work is to: Under rotation set the "Vector Map Multiplied" to 1 and under color set the "Mask Map Threshold" to something low, like 0.03.

After that is tweaking the setting in order to get closer to what you have in mind.

I am almost sure that it is possible to get better results trough the FX node, but I was not able to make it work.

I hope that helps you!