Home Technical Talk

Dell xps 27 - 4k aio for 3d?

teahouse
null
Offline / Send Message
teahouse null
Hey guys, first post here, hope I'm doing it right. I'm tired of switching from cintiq at work to intuos at home, so it's time for an upgrade.

Dell just intoduced a surface studio clone.

27-inch UltraSharp 4K screen with or without touch
Core i5-7400 or Core i7-7700
Up to 32GB DDR4 RAM
Up to 1TB m.2 PCIe SSD, up to 2TB SATA HDD with 32GB Flash
Intel HD 530, AMD R9 M470 4GB, or AMD R9 M485X graphics

I'm mainly 2d artist looking for a 4k cintiq and this seems like the perfect offer.

Like all artists I'm venturing into modo/3dsmax/zbrush/maya lately however.
The GPU of this thing is insultingly weak unfortunately.

Will it manage 3d work as lighting and setting up a high poly zbrush/modo model for rendering? 

There is also the radeon wx 7100 as a professional graphics solution, but I guess for the graphics upgrade price I could build a second workstation with a gaming card like the rx470.

Thank you for any feedback!
Great forum btw. I have been lurking for ages.

Replies

• monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    As far as I know the Dell XPS 27 does not support stylus input.

You might be thinking of the new Dell Canvas that runs on Wacom tech but is only a monitor, not an all-in-one.
    http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2017/1/5/dell-canvas-unveiled-at-ces-2017
  • teahouse
    Offline / Send Message
    teahouse null
    You are actually right. As the new xps 27 introduced alongside the canvas  folds flat on a table, too, I supposed I might support a stylus, but actually it doesn't.

I like the size of the cintiq 22 a lot, but I feel like faint sketches just turn into mush when you zoom out. Therefore I'm looking for a bit more pixel density than hd22" or qhd27".

Thank you for kindly answering my question. I guess I will go for a budget system then.
  • teahouse
    Offline / Send Message
    teahouse null
    Yes you are actually right. I read conflicting things about the new xps 27 or precision 5720 as you can put it flat on the desk like a surface studio. But apparently it's not supporting pen input. :/

Size wise I think a 22 inch cintiq is fine, but my eyes start to hurt after a few hours because it's not sharp enough. I got used to it though as we don't have intuoses at work. 
    A decently sized 4k cintiq would have been a dream. 
    I will get an xp pen 22 inch and a proper workstation then. ;)

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Be very careful with 4k and make sure your software scales properly. I wouldn't recommend it below 32", scaling the UI negates the advantage and just creates a lot of mess and complications 
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Will probably go fer the new microsoft AIO after a couple generations. I have been craving a 28 inch pressure sensitive screen for a long time. Hoping that have a gpu in the next model that runs the nearly 5k screen with more power. ( size and fidelity is very sexy )