Home Career & Education

Need an advice for fresh graduate looking for a job.

Hi :) 
I hope I find a right forums to write these kind of things..

I'm recent graduate looking for a job, doing a job search for some studio looking for junior level artist.

Question here.
While I read some threads, I find out that many game company gives artist an art test.
Sounds like give one a concept art and expect them to finish in a few days.

So, would it be a bad idea to send out my resume to many companies at the same time?
I know there is a plenty chance that I even not able to get a chance to take an art test,
but I thought it might be very hard situation if someone got several art test at same time.(sounds possible if one is really good one) 
Is there any general way of people in game industry take care of these kind of situation?

Or am I just suppose to aggressively sending out my resume and portfolio anywhere if they have open position?

Any other advice welcome, please.

Replies

• Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I think the most important thing is to not become discouraged by the amount of time this will take to get your foot in the door and keep working on the portfolio until you get to the art test stage.
    Another thing that might be helpful for everyone here is if you'd put your portfolio in a link or in your signature so people can see where you're at and what direction you're pursuing. 

There's also a whole wiki with tons of information at your disposal - http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry

• fishcupcake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Francois_K
    Thanks! I didn't know that there is a wiki here.. 
    hope this is right way to write a reply.. I read some posts from polycount but never wrote one before.

• Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
  • Kyetja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyetja polycounter lvl 7
    When I was looking for my internship I just send a load of emails, only 2 companies asked me to do an art test and they asked me what days would best suit me, so don't worry about planning that stuff! The moment you are offered to do such a test already means they have some faith in your skills so they'll wait for a bit most likely.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Posting your portfolio and goals is a good start here. Also, don't limit yourself to just applying for game art jobs. There are a lot of companies and industries that use 3d art and the same disciplines as game art that can be great experience right out of school while still learning and working on your portfolio. 
  • dystopianghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dystopianghost polycounter lvl 11
    Hi :) 
    I hope I find a right forums to write these kind of things..

I'm recent graduate looking for a job, doing a job search for some studio looking for junior level artist.

Question here.
    While I read some threads, I find out that many game company gives artist an art test.
    Sounds like give one a concept art and expect them to finish in a few days.

So, would it be a bad idea to send out my resume to many companies at the same time?
    I know there is a plenty chance that I even not able to get a chance to take an art test,
    but I thought it might be very hard situation if someone got several art test at same time.(sounds possible if one is really good one) 
    Is there any general way of people in game industry take care of these kind of situation?

Or am I just suppose to aggressively sending out my resume and portfolio anywhere if they have open position?

Any other advice welcome, please.

My first piece of advice would be have your portfolio linked on here, this way everyone can see your work and give you advice based on your work. As per your question about art tests, if you were to receive more then one art test. Most companies can be flexible for the dates. Meaning if you were to receive an art test from ABC Company that have you 24 hours to complete this, and later that day you received an art test from CBA Company which also gives you 24 hours. I would recommend you contact one of them and let them know you are extremely busy at the moment could you do it they next day or the next week or whatever. You don't want to try to do two art test at the same time you want to pour work into them and impress them.  

Hope this helps and Good luck on the job search. 
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5

- I've never been in a situation where I've had several art tests, but if that ever happens be completely upfront and honest. Explain to the company sending you the art test that you're currently undertaking one, but would be happy to begin theirs once you have completed the current one. 

- Personally I wouldn't send out too many E-Mails at once. When I was searching for work I made sure to cater my application to every company; if you have the time to send your resume to "as many companies as possible" then you're probably not taking enough time to cater it to each position. Don't apply to a company if you genuinely don't really want to work there. In my opinion when you're going into an industry you love, then a job isn't just a job; go for one you want. 

- Though with the above in mind, a job is a job, and if you're really struggling I'd recommend taking up part time work to support yourself whilst you keep searching for games job. :P

Here's a bunch of other random games job seeking tips I've come by:

- Write a good CV/Resume, just because you're in the games industry doesn't mean you won't be expected to have CV written to the same standard as a business job. (You're in an industry where good communication is essential, and the ability to write well demonstrates this.)  There's tonnes of resume writing material online but the best way is to go to the portfolio's of pro artists and have a look at theirs :)

- ... And keep your CV/Resume plain and simple, with good formatting -- none of that fancy abstract graphic design stuff; save that for your artwork. Your resume is likely going to be looked at by HR and they don't care about how pretty it looks, they just want information. Make sure your portfolio link is hyperlinked at the top of your CV. Make it as easy/simple as possible for whoever is reading it to open your portfolio.

- All of your social media profiles should be integrated. E.G. if I have your Portfolio make it nice and easy for me to also find your LinkedIn, Twitter, ArtStation, etc. This opens up lots of methods for people to contact you, as well as get an idea about who you are and your artwork. Try not to post too much spammy shit on any accounts which recruiters can find

- KEEP MAKING ART. Do not stop adding stuff to your portfolio once you finish university, carry on making good art and keep the best stuff on your portfolio. This proves to recruiters that you're keen to keep learning even when it's not required, and it will help you get better and better