Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The AK (My first assault rifle model)

null
Took me about 2 months (I worked in the weekends), but now it's done.

20,500 Tris.
5 4K textures, 1 2K texture.
Modelling: 3DS MAX
Texturing: Quixel Suite (and Photoshop)
rendering: (obviously) Marmoset Toolbag 2

Replies

• fhurtubise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fhurtubise polycounter lvl 3
    Great result, and you must be glad to finally be done after a two month project!

I have a tip for taking shots in Marmoset: decrease your camera's field of view! It's way too intense right now, and while this can be an interesting way to present environments (to give them a lot of extreme depth), it's generally a bad idea for presenting hard surface props, as it makes your props look warped. That's a shame, because it makes it difficult to see all the work you put into making these shapes and details fit well together! Usually, anywhere from 35 to 55mm works best for field of view, with a more exaggerated field of view for some extreme closeups (but nowhere as high as what you're using!)

My next piece of criticism would be on the materials. You have some solid groundwork in your albedo map, but your glossiness and bump are too uniform. This can mostly be seen in areas that catch a lot of light - their reflections are very uniform right now, which makes the materials look overly smooth and lacking in identity. You shouldn't be afraid to add some scratches, edge wear, or grime onto your weapon. Edges may get selectively worn, which results in different bumpiness around them, and buildups of dirt in your more occluded areas should result in a less "shiny" (more matte or less reflective) material there.