Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Newbie Character Modeling: Garnet

vertex
Hi all! I'm trying to teach myself how to character model and it's tough going with only Youtube tutorials to go by. I'm still just in the beginning stages of modeling Garnet from Steven Universe, but any guidance would be appreciated.
Reference photo:
Current progress:

My current plan is to do as much as I can on one side then mirror it. I'm also going to replace the hands with her gauntlets to avoid doing more complex hand modeling.

Replies

• emerald-shine
    Offline / Send Message
    emerald-shine polycounter lvl 4
    Looks nice. Is this your first character?

Its hard to tell but It looks like you have one mesh for the hair and head. They should be seperate, eaiser to model and saves on topology. The arms should be straight, its much eaiser to work with that way.  Also i think you need a couple more edge loops around the elbow. Its fine now but if the elbow bends any more, the geomerty will warp. Dont forget to smooth your normals.

Hope this helps
  • RealBarenziah
    I've tinkered before but this is pretty much my first character.
    It's all one mesh right now. I suppose I should clarify that I'm practicing making game assets. Would I still want to keep the hair mesh separate from the head if it's a game asset?
  • emerald-shine
    Offline / Send Message
    You picked a good starting point :)

Yeah, having seperate meshes makes everything so much easier. It gives more freedom when modeling, makes it eaiser to navigate your scene and will help with rigging (dont bother with that right now). Basic rule of thumb is anything that could be seperate object in reality should be so in your model. Breaking your concept down into seperate objects will make it so much eaiser.

Head
    Hair
    glasses
    upper torso
    shoulder pads
    arms
    lower body
    you could even have the collar be seperate too.

The legs will need to be conected to the lower body.
    When I first started, i was introduced to this tutorial:
    http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.php
    Its really old but its a great intro to character modelling, Just flick through it and you'll see.

If you need help with anything, just ask.

• Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    you have a ton of loops going from her crotch around her hips. it looks like you're trying to stay true to the silhouette exactly, but that's not necessary. with any model you make, think about where that model is intended for. if its intended for a game, how far away will the player see the model from? up close? then more topology. far away? then you can make the topology more suggestive of the shape and have less loops. I think you could get away with around 4 or 6 loops in that area and still have a very readable silhouette. also having lots of loops can make rigging a character for animation more complicated.
    I think the ankles could have some loops removed as well.
    keep at it! Garnet is a great character, and I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
  • RealBarenziah
    Awesome, thanks for the advice! :) I'll update with some progress screenshots soon.
  • RealBarenziah
    Ok so I basically restarted using that tutorial link as a guide. Haven't gotten to the arms yet but here's the new direction:

A also need a prettier way of making these progress photos :tongue:
    Everything is separate meshes. The pieces are:
    1. Legs and torso
    2. Chest
    3. Head and neck
    4. Hair
    5. Glasses
  • RealBarenziah
    Ok I did the arms. Here's my current progress:

and the face

• emerald-shine
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much better.  Whats your end goal for this model? what kind of game is it targeted for? I ask because you could probaby have room for some more tris in the budget which would really bennefit the hips. Also I woud add a couple of edge loops at the knees and ankles. Right now theres not enough geometry to support clean deformation and its going to look pretty janky.
  • RealBarenziah
    This model won't be used for anything probably, but I'm using it as a tool to learn how to model for games. Let's say it's for a fighting game like Mortal Kombat.  I would like to do a texture, but I've tried many times to UV unwrap and I just don't have the patience for it. I might slap on some surface shaders and call it a day unless anyone has good tips on preparing a character UV map.
    I definitely want to rig it at some point an get it moving, so I'll definitely need more geometry. I was tempted to use the Smooth mesh function to add more edges for me and smooth the model.
  • Yazen
    Offline / Send Message
    Yazen polycounter lvl 2
    Im a noobie too but I found UVing in 3d coat to be the easiest thing to do. I also retopologize models there but this model is low poly anyway so I wouldnt worry about that. 
  • RealBarenziah
    what should my next steps be? Should I start combining the separated pieces together or work on smoothing it? 
  • emerald-shine
    Offline / Send Message
    Id keept the peices seperate. Theres really no need to combine them at all. Combining them could make it harder to rig for the animator, not impossible mind you, but their job is already hard enough.
    You only really need to smooth the hips section. Everything else looks fine as is. Theres no need to use geometry where you dont need it. Having said that, you should still add some edge loops around the ankles and knees but that will probably take care of itself when you smooth the hips.
    It may be a good idea to backup your model in her current form. That  way you can go back if you dont like the result.
  • RealBarenziah
    Ok, once I do the smoothing, I might work on texture next. Should I use a different program other than Maya to do the UVs? Yazen mentioned 3d coat.
  • emerald-shine
    Offline / Send Message
    Cant comment on that since I have never used 3d coat. Looks like a nice bit of software from what Ive seen but I like having my modeling and UVs in one package. UV is hard, its just tedious and it just has to be done.
  • RealBarenziah
    Ok I added just a couple more edges and a few loops to the knees and ankles. Hips are a lot less dramatic and smoother. How is this looking?

I might use the Mesh > smooth functions to double the polys on the legs, but I wasn't sure if that was necessary.
  • Ruflse
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not a good reference for advise, but maybe this helps with the topology: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Limb_Topology

You are going pretty good if you want to keep it low poly, but I wouldn't recommend ignoring UV mapping if you really want to learn how to make a complete character. Maybe it's a bit tedious or stressful understanding the process at first, but when you learn to identify which kind of topology should be unwapped which way it's a lot easier. Look how people unwrapp organic and hard surface models and you will start to know the ways. In your case I would make a individual UV shell for the toes, the legs, the torso, the shoulders, the arms, the hands, the upper body, the head, the hair and the glasses. Just make a seam for every edge loop that delimits parts like the hands and the toes, and then another seam to "open" the parts in two, trying to hide it if possible to avoid visible seams in the texture (like in the case of the head, don't put one in the face, put it where the hair hides it). The shoulder and the upper boddy are practically simple cylinders, so just make a cylindrical projection, or put a seam yourself, unwrapp, and then relax the UV shells. In the case of the glasses, which have hard edges, make a planar projection for each group of polygons separated by 45 degrees and relax the shells.
    Most of the tools to do in Maya what I'm saying are in the UV Editor -> Polygons, I think.

This may also help: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Uvs
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking#UV_Coordinates

Good luck!
  • RealBarenziah
    Oh, awesome! These resources are perfect, thank you Ruflse.
  • Ruflse
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 7
    Ruflse said:
    make a planar projection for each group of polygons separated by 45 degrees and relax the shells.
    Sorry, I meant 90 degrees there.
  • RealBarenziah
    Ok well I cleaned up the topology. I decided to smooth it so now it has 26207 UVs adn 7609 vertices. Not sure that was a good idea. Is that within the average count for fighting game characters?

• emerald-shine
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really nice. 7000+ tris is nothing to worry about. For a point of reference, some of the latest smash bros models are around 1200 depending on the character. I have never needed to worry about the UV, Ive never even looked at it :smile:
  • RealBarenziah
    Actually it's easier than I thought now that I know about UV seams! It also helps that Garnet has a really simple texture. It's starting to look like a real character model!

Just the legs done. I'm going redo them so I can texture the heel properly. I'm so exited to get the rest of her unwrapped and textured!!! :astonished:
  • RealBarenziah

incredibly simplistic texture but here is the fully textured model! I know so much more about UV unwraps now :smiley:
  • RealBarenziah
    So now that I'm almost ready to rig an animate this, should I combine all the meshes in preparation for the making the skeleton? The legs/torso, chest, arms, face, glasses, and hair are all separate meshes. Should I leave them separate? Group them? Parent them?
  • RealBarenziah
    I'm going to start on an original character now that I've brought Garnet through the process. Thank you all for your guidance!!!
  • emerald-shine
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno if youve already done it but you can leave the meshes seperate without ever needing to combine them. Having them seperate will make rigging and skin weighting much easier to handle.
    She looks really good. I would try and get some nice renders of her, dont ask me how to do that in maya cos I have no idea. I always render my stuff in Sibstance painter 2 or UE4. There are probably other renderers out there but i dont know of any free ones.

Congrats on a job well done for a first character model. Heres to the next one :)
  • RealBarenziah
    Thanks! Maybe I'll mess around with renders in Unity, since that's the game engine I have the most experience in right now :tongue:
  • RealBarenziah
    Having a weird issue here. I'm using Unity3D
    When I tried to throw together a quick scene with the model I get a weird lighting issue on the right arm. It's as if it's receiving light from a different angle than everything else. Maybe this is just something I'm doing wrong in Unity, but it could also have something to do with how I mirrored the left arm over when modeling?

• emerald-shine
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks like a normals issue. I had that in Unreal before and it was caused by how I mirrored the geo. Did you duplicate the arm and scale it negatively to face the other direction?

She looks great, makes my first character look woeful :smile:
  • RealBarenziah
    That's exactly what I did, yes. I made sure to select that arm and reverse the normals, so that's probably where the issue arose.
    Thanks very much! I'm really getting comfortable with modeling now. Thank you for all the feedback!