Home Technical Talk

Maya FBX exporting won't bake blend shape animation

Hi, I'm hoping somebody can help me solve this issue I'm having in Maya 2016.

I have a rigged character that has corrective blend shapes driven by the joints.  I'm exporting to UE4 and everything exports just fine; the meshes, animation, and blend shapes but the actual deformations from the blend shapes don't.

I can see the sliders moving in the morph target previewer but it's not deforming correctly.  I did a simple test with a skinned cylinder with one blend shape and it's the same issue. 

The problem definitely is Maya's FBX exporter but nothing I try works.
I've tried:  Baking animation on bones, mesh, and blend shape node
                 Trying older/newer versions of the fbx plugin
                Uninstall/reinstall Maya and delete the preference folder 
Nothing works....these are my export settings

I've been trying to solve this for the past week with no luck.  I'm hoping somebody more tech savvy than me can help me find the solution to this

Here is the link for my cylinder test scene if anyone wants to check it out
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8CFiFlLXFp0R3VoWXVNaUNvbE0
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Replies

• PolyBitsArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I finally figured out it!!!!!!!!!!
    The solution was so simple I lost my mind.......Classic Linear skinning.....that's it............I had Dual Quaternion activated.........2 weeks.......gone...no google search made any mention of this, not even anywhere in the Unreal Documentation.......

So that no other soul may suffer my fate, and that this shows up in "fbx blendshape issue" google searches.  You can only use Classic Linear skinning when exporting with FBX.
  • M4ro0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4ro0 null
    You just saved my life !!! Thank you so much. 
  • wguillaume
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wguillaume null
    I too have a similar issue with my FBX but it's not with the Classic Linear skinning, I am experiencing a problem with my rig where I applied blend shape to my eye movement (eye lids moving with eye ball) while using either connection editor/set driven key to drive the movements. The connections break in my FBX export. I am bringing all of this into Unity an of course the connection is broken but I also opened the FBX in maya and the problem is there too. Any suggestions to what might be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

• Lu65535
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although it is very late, I leave a reply here maybe this can help others :
    fbx does not support driven key node so you cannot bring it out.   blendshape need to be baked .
    Step by step :  select the mesh, then select the blendshape node in attribute column, edit>keys> bake simulation (option : check "selected" instead "below"). done.
    reference : 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c42mRMYWNbE&t=295s