Home Technical Talk

Question: Topology of a Boat

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
SummonedSpirit polycounter lvl 2
Hello Polycount,

I've been self teaching myself to modelling a yacht to be placed in a game engine for phototaking with a good friend of mine. I understand that only triangles and quads are allowed for games. Hence we have made all of them quads. But regarding topology how would that go? Is there a certain way the Polygons need to be so that light reaches them out properly? If so is our model passable what can we do to improve it?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quads are not required.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polygon_Count

For topology ideas look at vehicle wireframes from top-tier published games. Fans decompile meshes from games all the time.
  • SummonedSpirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quads are not required.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polygon_Count

For topology ideas look at vehicle wireframes from top-tier published games. Fans decompile meshes from games all the time.
    Understood Eric, well I have referenced a boat from bloodwake, I've more or less tried to follow its pathing however unlike the boats there I created a whole to model the interior which has generated me problems as I tried to connect the points to create quads. I was told then I needed to keep everything as quads if I wanted to put it in a game engine. Hence I wanted to check out if I have still mantained a proper topology with the changes I did.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quads are definitely not required. Whomever is insisting on this is entirely mistaken. I would avoid their advice. Link explains why.

Also the interior and exterior need not be a single perfectly connected manifold. That's needlessly complicating things. They should be made of multiple separate pieces, much like real objects are created.
  • SummonedSpirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quads are definitely not required. Whomever is insisting on this is entirely mistaken. I would avoid their advice. Link explains why.

Also the interior and exterior need not be a single perfectly connected manifold. That's needlessly complicating things. They should be made of multiple separate pieces, much like real objects are created.
    Thats very enlightening, thanks for clearing it up Eric. Didn't know that at all.  As for Manifold, thats like thickness? So technically it would be better for me to have just construct the base of the ship, take off the ceiling from the mesh and model the rooms and ceiling independently of the mesh to reduce too many vertexes in topology if I understand this right.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manifold means one continuous mesh with no breaks. Your model looks like it might be attempting this.

You don't need to continue your edge loops across the model.
  • SummonedSpirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manifold means one continuous mesh with no breaks. Your model looks like it might be attempting this.

You don't need to continue your edge loops across the model.
    Ah yes, guess thats another point for me to learn too, I was advised in a facebook group on keeping everything as a single mesh unless the component is meant to be broken off as it would create seams in texturing. Its good to know though i'll just create edge loops from those places that require it from now on. Would the model be commercially viable though if thats the case? I do notice turbo squid seems to have a check on quads. I do intend to sell some of the interior items like the sofa and chair in the future.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Read the link, see if that answers your questions or not.
  • SummonedSpirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Read the link, see if that answers your questions or not.
    Seems fine for games, although its rather vague on that. Still thanks for the support on this Eric. I'll look through.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    damn you should check who is giving you tips and ask questions about the why they tell you to do this or that.

making everything one single mesh is pretty much pointless these days. There is almost no reason to do that. Maybe you want to 3dprint it, but even then you can work around it.

Just see it this way, is this boat made of one piece in reality? If not, there are not many reasons to make it so. Yes you can combine things, ie if you want to bake them together. But you can also keep things seperated which are seperated in reality. Having loops go all across a single mesh is just horribly inefficient. And think of it this way. Imagine you built everything out of one single piece. Try selecting a certain piece, just this piece, not the surroundings. How do you do that if everything is connected?
    It is a pain in the butt.

Not to speak of unwrapping all this, holy crap :D 
  • SummonedSpirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    damn you should check who is giving you tips and ask questions about the why they tell you to do this or that.

making everything one single mesh is pretty much pointless these days. There is almost no reason to do that. Maybe you want to 3dprint it, but even then you can work around it.

Just see it this way, is this boat made of one piece in reality? If not, there are not many reasons to make it so. Yes you can combine things, ie if you want to bake them together. But you can also keep things seperated which are seperated in reality. Having loops go all across a single mesh is just horribly inefficient. And think of it this way. Imagine you built everything out of one single piece. Try selecting a certain piece, just this piece, not the surroundings. How do you do that if everything is connected?
    It is a pain in the butt.

Not to speak of unwrapping all this, holy crap :D 
    Understood Neox, i've been reading up and also examining my model, I realized it would have been wholly less complicated if I only made the exterior hull a hollow single mesh and seperate the ceillings. Since Boat bases are seperate from the hull I created a lot of unnecessary edge loops due to that. Should've just  made the main hull as one mesh while keeping it hollow with a level of thicknesss for the interior.

Actually is it possible for me as seen in the picture to seperate the interior, 1st floor,2nd and 3rd floor as a seperate mesh? if I do that though would that cause texturing issues like really obvious seam cuts in areas that should have a proper flowing texture? Because at least the exterior of the hull in a ship is made together and the metal flows throughout.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But it doesn't flow throughout, in real life. There are natural seams in all manmade items. Unless carved from a single block, but that's actually fairly rare.

Instead of creating a hull with thickness, most games have no interiors at all. Just the exterior seating, where the driver operates the boat, etc. 

Interiors are only modeled if a player can go in there. And they're always modeled separately, so they can be hidden when the player is outside, for faster real-time rendering.
  • SummonedSpirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gotcha boss I'm remaking it now shaved about 600 polys from it haha