Home Featured Artwork

Soviet inspired tracked transport

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
CybranM interpolator
Hi, I've been working on this project for a while and I just felt like posting it to get feedback but also to put some pressure on myself to work more. I plan to finish the highpoly and then make a lowpoly and bake textures so that I can import it into Unreal 4.

It's inspired by the Soviet vehicle DT-30:

My vehicle is meant to be a sort of road train with the vehicle I'm building now being the "locomotive".
Its articulated like the DT-30 and the second section will be where the "wagons" are attached.

This is the first blockout of the main section for the vehicle. It's quite big and uses wide tracks as its meant to drive in snow.

Adding basic details. I used a script made by Erik Karlsson to make the tracks which was a great time saver.

This is where I'm at right now. I've added bolts and other details to the front part of the articulated vehicle but the trailer is still very basic. I'll add a few more closeup images in the next post.

Replies

• CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator

This is a render of the engine compartment, colours and some of the geo is still WIP.
    It's inspired by the engine deck of the Tiger II tank with some added pipes and net covers.

This is at the back of the first section of the vehicle, below the engine deck. I added plates with bolts and piping but I'm not entirely happy with how it currently looks.

Hydraulics for the plow at the front of the vehicle. The hydraulics became a bit complicated but I wanted the plow to be able to pivot at the centre and also to be able to be lifted up from the ground. 
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Any and all feedback is welcome
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator

I added the flatbed to the back of the second half of the vehicle. The support for the 5th wheel isnt finished yet but its the piece I'm going to fix next. The two electric engines that power the winches might be a bit too large, so thats something ill have to take a look at.

Hydraulic link between the two sections, its based on the DT-30 hydraulics but instead of a drivechaft I've added fuel lines instead since the second half is self-powered. I'll have to do a second detail pass to add a bit more but I like how it looks.

I also changed the hydraulics for the plow a bit but nothing major. Since I refined the hydraulic cylinders for the wagon link I updated the plow hydraulics aswell.
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator

Made the support for the 5th wheel, I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out but it looks alright. I might change the side rails and remove the sprockets.
    I played around with the material for the support a bit to try and make it look like cast metal but I'm still a novice when it comes to materials in Modo.
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    I've been working on the interior of the vehicle. This is my current progress, still lots of details to add.

Front view, I want it to feel a bit cramped but at the same time there is a lot of space to fill

Drivers side with steering wheel and instrument panel.
    The things on the bottom corners of the windows are heaters that counteract condensation on the windows. 

Radio operator/map table. Its hard to get a good angle for the camera to show everything.
    I've tried to fill out the front center of the "bridge" with a working desk and a map table, I'm not entirely happy with how the drawers on the map table are looking.

Feedback would be appreciated :smile:

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Well this is awesome.

Since you mention UE4 as your endgame, have you considered using deferred decals? See here and here. I've found them to be excellent for the T-55 type vehicle I'm working on. I'm also using Piotr Bieryt's welds as decals, which you might find useful.
  • griffitii
    Offline / Send Message
    griffitii greentooth
    Looks fantastic! Loving the level of detail you modelled in. You might want to use materials from Modo's Preset Browser to start and to get a feel for how they work in the program. 
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    That is so cool! 
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    @Bek
    I've heard about deferred decals but I havent looked into until now. I'll definitely try it out and I hope to get it to work.
    Thanks for the links, learned a lot more about the decal system. The zbrush brushes look awesome but unfortunately the gumroad page says theyre currently not for sale :frowning:

@griffitii
    I'm not very experienced when it comes to modo materials or rendering but I'll give it a try it when I'm finished with the inside

@RustySpannerz
    Thanks! :smile:

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    CybranM said:
    @Bek
    The zbrush brushes look awesome but unfortunately the gumroad page says theyre currently not for sale :frowning:
    Hm yeah looks like he's taken them down again. They were like that for months before he put them up for sale again; keep an eye on it and hopefully another chance will come up.
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Been working on the details for the interior and I'm nearing completion.

Drivers view, the instrument panel isn't done yet and neither is the steering wheel. Its one of the things I've yet to finish. The window heaters look a bit weird but I'm not sure what to add to make it look better.

Here is a good look at the inside. I've updated the chairs to be subD, I'll take the cushions into zbrush when I'm done and make them look like leather.

The handbrake and side panels, I might change the side panel as it look a bit odd but I'm unsure how to make it better.

Closeup of the radio operators radio, Its one of the more intricate objects. Ignore the flying bits in the image, they're part of the WIP radar that's next to the radio.
    I'm trying to make the small pieces have fairly round edges, even though the reference is a lot sharper, to try and make the normals look good when I make the lowpoly.

Feedback is always welcome :smile: 
  • Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Awesome project looks really good so far.
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator

Finished drivers view. Instrument panel is done, I might make some adjustments to button layout but I feel pretty happy with how it is right now.
    The buttons and dials in the lower right corner feel a bit too spaced out and not detailed enough so I might have to do something about that.

Now I just need to finish the area behind the radio operator and do the window shades.
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator

This is the (almost) finished bridge interior. I've added T-beams to the roof, finished up the radar doodad, tiled pattern for the floor, updated chair and the cabinets in the back (not pictured).

I've still got a few pieces to finish but its almost done

EDIT: better render
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator

This is the finished (almost) interior. The one last thing I need to make is a headset for the radio operator.
    I've considered making a coat and hang it on the seat or wall but I don't have Marvelous Designer and I'm not sure what a good way to make it in Modo would be. Perhaps one of those Russian fur hats but at this point I just want to be finished with the highpoly.
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator

The last piece for the highpoly is done :smiley:
    Now I need to start with the lowpoly and get into UVing all of this.
    Really looking forward to texturing the vehicle
  • DerPimpvater
    Offline / Send Message
    DerPimpvater polycounter lvl 6
    Damn man, nice details on this!! Good luck unwrapping all that geo :>
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    @DerPimpvater Haha, yeah. Its taking a while
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Ok so I have a question for you guys:
    The lowpoly is currently split into a lot of separate UVs and Im wondering if its best to combine them into one or two large ones?
    It would make it easier to work with if there were only a single texture but it would have to be very highres, would an 4k or 8k texture be too much?

Image: Separate UVs highlighted with colours.
    I'll see what you guys think and I'll work on the outside in the meantime :smile:
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    I'm not sure what the best way to texture the exterior would be but I'm thinking of doing it this way:

I would have seven materials of which 3 would be tiling.
    The details on the tiling materials would be floating decals.

This is the current progress for the interior textures. I've spent time learning Substance Painter and Designer and loving both so far! 

• Kobalt Kiwii
    Offline / Send Message
    Kobalt Kiwii polycounter lvl 6
    This looks really awesome, look forward to seeing more
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    A small update while I finish up the lowpoly for the tiling areas.
    Ive done a quick test to try out the workflow Im going to use with deferred decals and secondary UV masking that I learned from this post

Above is the result of the material masking. Ive used deferred decals for the rivets and lines. The base paint is a tiling 512x512 that I made in Substance designer and I have a tiling rust + tiling dust textures for the details.
    Im using a secondary UV set for masking out which areas will be rusty and which ones will be dirty, im also adding the largescale roughness variation with the mask.

This is the material setup at the moment. The mask is in the middle controlling the lerps and I have a global texCoords to control the texel density for the tiling textures.

Im soon done with the "lowpoly" (more like mediumpoly) for the rest of the tiling areas of the vehicle so I will post that when its ready.
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    All the tiling lowpolys are now done and Im finishing the last of the unique lowpoly meshes at the moment.

The tiling meshes use 3 different tiling textures: Base (paint), Rust and Dirt. I also have a channel for changing the roughness, I could add more if I need to but I think those should suffice. The mesh will look better when I've added the deferred decals.

The problem I'm having is that the resolution of the tiling UV mask map (which has all the UVs laid-out, including instances and mirrored geo) might be too low. At the moment the masks (front half and back half) are 2048 but I probably need to make them 4k if I want better transitions between materials.

There is some problems with the masking order that I need to fix. The rust should be "over" the bare metal as well but currently the metal is blocking everything else. Shouldnt be that hard to fix. Metal material needs work as it looks weird at the moment, I should probably make it way more rough.

• Poinball
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Really cool so far !!! I like it !
  • Bunifazzuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunifazzuy polycounter lvl 4
    This is just an insane asset ! No words , emotions only...
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    awesome modeling dude!  looking forward to seeing this finished!
    can you please explain how did you go about creating the coiled wire for the walkie-talkie thingo in modo?
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    @Tzur_H
    I recorded a short video here: https://streamable.com/jxnqx
    I am using a script called quickpipe to make the edge into a cylinder.

There might be a better way to do it but thats the one I used
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, thanks for that dude!  very cool technique
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    New update, I've finished the lowpoly versions of all the unique details and baked everything.
    UV mapping them and trying to keep a somewhat equal texel-density was a bit annoying.

Next step is doing the texturing inside Substance painter and designer to finish the tiling textures and to make the unique textures.
    I also need to do the detail decals, such as a unit designation on the side of the vehicle and a red star (cant not have a red star on a soviet vehicle right) and some other smaller things.

Engine deck with tiling net texture, most of it is mirrored.

Deferred decals at work, turned out pretty good and Im happy with the result

Cable is using its own texture at 512px but I might reduce it if it doesnt look too horrible

Lots of mirroring and instancing here. You can see the tiling on the sprockets on the fifth-wheel support. The base of the fifth-wheel is also using a lot of mirroring.

Back of the vehicle and a good view of the tracks. The holes in the tracks are made using an alpha with some supporting geo inside, turned out pretty good

• jesusblasco
    Offline / Send Message
    jesusblasco polycounter lvl 2
    Your model is looking very clean, the rust it's looking amazing, also, the interiors are gorgeous. Nice job
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    @jesusblasco
    Thanks, I hope its not too clean since its supposed to be an old and worn down model :>
    I know what you mean though :smile:
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Great work on this so far, love how much detail you added to the interior :)
  • Josh203
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh203 triangle
    This is turning out to be awesome, looking forward to seeing it finished (: 
  • CybranM
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Looks reaaaally nice :D Impressive! If you plan to make it an old model i suggest that you scratch the green paint a bit more, its still looking like it was freshly painted. Maybe try to have this kind of weathering aswell? : 

https://www.textures.com/download/metalaircraft0066/50055

It oculd break the tiling effect and looks damn good.
    But it's just a suggestion, your model is already far better than i could do :)
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    @Olingova
    Thanks!
    Its a good idea and I hope to be able to do something like that. The problem I ran into is that unreal engine only allows for 16 texture samples to be loaded into one material and since I need a unique normal/albedo/rough per map it limits it a lot. I read that they made it so you can add more now but I haven't yet looked into how you'd do that.
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Ha yeah i see :s maybe just keep those weathering on the albedo only? How many texture do you got for your material?
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator

Progress pic from the interior. Its taking a long time to texture all of this, the fact that I'm new to substance painter isnt helping either.
    Its a great program and I love using it, finding new features all the time :smile:

I'm hoping to be done with the interior soon but i still have a lot of stuff do to and a lot of tweaking.
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    I'm pretty happy with the state of the interior now. I've learnt a lot about substance painter but there is still lots more to improve.
    There are a few images of the interior here and Id love to hear feedback on what I can improve or change :smile:

View from the front right of the interior:

View from the front left:

Drivers seat:

This is about where the camera would be in a game, its a bit dark because of UE4s autoexposure.

Approximate view from the radar/radio operators seat. The Radar and radio might be a bit too monotone, Id be interested to hear what you think. I made a quick material for the radar screen that rotates around.

Map table in the middle of the drivers area. The map is temporary, I plan on making a custom map of the Yuzhny/Severny Island area which would be more suitable in scale.

The chairs are meant to be able to slide along the rails on the floor.
    The walls and floor are tiling 256px textures that are tiled and masked using a 512px texture to get the variation. It turned out pretty good I think.

Does anyone know of a good way to make glass panes with dirt on one side?
    I tried to add dirt to one side and have the glass be two sided but it looked pretty odd. 

Id love to hear what you think, is it too green, too dirty, too monotone. Any and all feedback is welcome :smile:
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Working on the exterior now. Here are a few WIP pictures
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Wow, the interior texturing is reaaally impressive!! Details such as the weathering on the table where the cup is is pretty awesome.
    For the radar is think that the same kind of effect on the table could do the trick, can't wait to see the all vehicle finished!
  • Danface
    Offline / Send Message
    Danface polycounter lvl 7
    Looking great :D I’m going for a similar time period and Soviet based as well. For me, the ‘fun’ bit was getting all the Russian not typical half assed Google translate and military accurate. 

For the glass, I useful this in a previous project and it turned Putnam pretty well

https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/723
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    @Olingova
    Thanks! I tuned down the scratches on the side table a bit to better match the rest of the vehicle. I also added more weathering to the radio table.

@Danface
    Nice, do you have any images of your project? Most of my text is "accurate" but I just use google translate so the grammar is probably off on a lot of it.
    I'll definitely try that glass material, thanks for the link :smile:
  • Unknown_Target
    Offline / Send Message
    Unknown_Target polycounter lvl 6
    Looks awesome man! Maybe add some more notes/scribbles/etc. to the radar operator's  half of things? 
  • Danface
    Offline / Send Message
    @CybranM I'm only just starting the texturing but it can be found on my twitter and I'll add the latest addition (without text atm) here.

For the text, it was a pain because typing what you want in English and have it churned out into Russian, pasting it back and going Russian > English, you'll see how bad it can turn out. I searched a whole bunch of actual Russian transmitters and military radios to get the phrases right as they can use the same words, but because Russian takes up such a lot of space (4 lettered words in English could be 8-9 lettered words and fitting that onto a tiny display is a nightmare). So I'd usually find stuff and copy what I see using a Russian onscreen keyboard (http://russian.typeit.org/) see what it says and if it's accurate to what I need, I'll use it. I began to keep a collection of military russian phrases like "Frequency setting", "Transmittion configuration", "Broadcast Receiver" and so on in a psd library I could copy and paste from when needed but it took a good while. Once it made sense when going from Russian to English, I'd feel happy putting it onto my texture although sometimes copying something letter for letter from Russian to English still made no sense but I used it anyway as it was 'technically' accurate if it was used back then with real people and they understood it just fine. 

• mvdrocco
    Offline / Send Message
    mvdrocco vertex
    Cool job! My only suggestion would be to invert the colors of your medpack. Right now, instead of a health symbol, it's the flag of Switzerland. 
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    @Unknown_Target
    Thanks! Adding more stuff to that side is probably a good idea, I'll add a few things to see how it looks.

@Danface
    Looking good, are you working from a real vehicle like a P-40 1S12 or making stuff up like I am? :smile:

@mvdrocco
    Haha, yeah that's a good idea. I don't know why I made it that way, I just assumed it would look like that. I'll see if I can adjust it to look more like a soviet medkit (like this but bigger).

Thanks for the feedback everyone :smile:
  • Danface
    Offline / Send Message
    @CybranM Mine’s a small portion of an even smaller concept art so I’ve followed it as close as I could but all the smaller detail has been taken from reference. It’s a listening post where you have 1 person sleeping in a bunk and the other listens/ transmits and then they switch. I’ve found the more I make stuff up, the harder I find it to follow something as I have to spend the time making it up rather than following something else. 

It it looks great though so keep up the good work and I hope the glass shader is what you’re looking for

• SteveHarlow
    Offline / Send Message
    SteveHarlow polycounter lvl 7
    This is nuts and i love it.

And it's plausibly buildable soviet nuts, the best kind of nuts. It already looks like it's on it's way to go mess up some kulaks
  • Scarabrae
    Offline / Send Message
    Scarabrae polycounter lvl 8
    Just love this!