Home Technical Talk

Looking for a way to retopologize terrain geometry from satelite data in Maya/other

Ghullie
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Ghullie polycounter lvl 4
Hello good people!

I'm currently working for a company trying to recreate a small town in Norway fully in 3D to be used in a car simulator using Unity. We bought a terrain mesh from another company who creates geologically correct terrains using satellite/map/height data. The mesh we got is automatically generated based on their algorithms so naturally it has pretty bad topology. Which isn't optimal when using tools like vertex painting in unity, requiring even topology to look good.

I'm looking for a way to improve it without manually retopologizing it myself.

Does anyone know of any scripts for maya or max (or other programs) that can convert the current mesh into uniform/even topology? Kind of like Dynamesh in Zbrush. Preferably without destroying the UV's or altering the mesh too much?

Appreciate any tips
Thanks

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    If you want to use it in unity, then you could extract a heightmap from the mesh. With this heightmap you can create a unity-terrain. Which will perform much better then one big mesh since it adjusts its detail level based on the viewing distance.