Home Unity

Lighting Techniques for Stylized Environments in Unity 5.5+

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Basti polycounter lvl 2
Hello my fellow Artists :)

I opened this threat to show one of my lighting tests for stylized environments in Unity 5.5. My plan is to create a scene with mostly handpainted assets made 3D and 2.5D like in the new version of Summoner's Rift from LoL or in Diablo 3 (TopDown-View). I'm just at the beginning and decided to use Unity as engine. It should be possible to create a nice, artistic environment there, especially with the new lighting tools. 
However I've already experimented a bit with it, just including some dummy cubes and textures. Everything is at an early stage yet. I made a first attempt to the light and AO settings. The following GIF shows some variations of more or less exaggerated AO. You can also see what kind of artstyle I want to go for in this project.

Your feedback and advice on how to use inbuilt tools of Unity 5 regarding the lighting for scenes like this one at best is very welcome. I'd really like to read about your experience on similar projects / technical experiments. 

So long! :)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    10 and 1 probably looks the best to me.

The trouble with baking AO in Unity though is you need a decent lightmap resolution to make it work, and as the scene increases in size a larger lightmap starts to become a real memory hog.

Have you looked into SSAO? There's a decent component in the free image effects package (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/51515), and there are better more refined ones in the Asset Store. I've used SSAO Pro, it's pretty good. 
  • Basti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basti polycounter lvl 2
    Hi Eric,

thank you for your answer. I also think a more decent AO is better.
    I agree with you on that memory issue, this tiny scene already requires 24MB with 9 directional maps...  Will see how many Lightmaps would have to be calculated when there are a lot of objects in the scene.
    Do you think it's possible to achieve a similar result with screenspace AO? I hope there is no visual disadvantage when using this in the free version of Unity, as far as I know there should be no difference anymore.

So long! :-)

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    SSAO is ok if tweaked carefully, and used sparingly. It would also allow you to reduce the lightmap resolution quite a bit.

A nice thing to add to a stylized look is a rim effect, fresnel in the shader. 

Stylized fx is also neat. I made a painterly torch fire shader; the motion, color, and intensity adds a lot of visual interest.
  • Basti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basti polycounter lvl 2
    Hey again Eric,

thank you for your help, got some things to try out now. :-)