Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Please help, critique, squeeze all the mistakes out of it.

Cleverboi
polycounter lvl 2

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the brushwork in this. The colors are great too.

However I feel the composition is hurting it quite a bit. She's cut off in an unnatural way, and so is her arrow. This makes it feel oddly cropped. You could include the arrow tip, and fade her dress into darker shadow, help ease the transition to the edge.

Same with the rock pillar at left, the tip being cut off makes this corner uncomfortable. You could either extend it further out of the frame, or pull the tip down into view.

The notched arrow pulls the viewer's eye out of the art, it's usually not good for composition purposes. You could try switching hands, so it points down to the left? Then the arrow's directional eyeline would work better with the rest of the underlying curves in the piece.

Her eyes seem to be lacking pupils. Which gives a nice ghostly or feline feel, but it's been pushed too far where she starts to look more zombified than animalistic. Her mouth has an odd downturn on her left (our right), a bit like it's melting.

There are some muddy colors in her dress, and the hands are not well defined. Especially her right hand, difficult to tell what the post is without looking really intently.

Her facial coloring is great, and the hair is really nicely done. I'd love to see this pushed further!
  • Cleverboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cleverboi polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you for  exposing these mistakes. Now I see them and they're a bit damaging for the whole piece. I'll try to work harder on my composition. I know that I'm not good with painting hands. They need a lot more of practice. 
     Thank you so much for help :smile:
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have some resources here on the wiki that might help you.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Concept_Fundamentals
  • Cleverboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cleverboi polycounter lvl 2
    Ow great! Thanks a lot. It will certainly be useful.