Home Technical Talk

How to actually pose hands ?

shubham kumar
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
what is the best way to pose hands  for game characters  to get good normal and AO maps  and  also  better deformation while holding guns  ?
should i keep them straight or curved ?

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Curved to a certain degree. Same idea we model the elbows and knees somewhat bent, and shoulders down to A shape... (instead of T-pose, or I-pose)
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
    It really depends. In production I've seen bind poses with the fingers straight out, and I've seen them with slightly relaxed fingers (like a hand gripping an invisible basket ball). Bind poses are typically dictated by your TD, and are often predicated on things like rig complexity and what actions the characters will spend a lot of time doing in game. So a lot of climbing, shooting, driving, etc might necessitate a relaxed bindpose for the hands. Armor on the hands might point you toward a stiffer bind pose. Very restrictive bone count limitations might also mean a stiff bind pose is preferable. If it's a hand for a FPS, where the hand will be very close to the camera during gameplay, then bear in mind that things like complex rigs, corrective blendshapes, wrinkle maps, and even capillary dilation maps are all becoming pretty standard in games that lean more toward realism.
    thanks i didn't knew all those maps are used in fps arms . i think i will go with the relaxed pose because my character will be holding a gun .