Home Technical Talk

GPU compatibility

Hey all, adding a thread about this here to hopefully get some more useful input on my little problem:

A few days ago my gpu kinda broke while playing a game (path of exile). So what happened was that the whole computer froze and the screens were showing a lot of colorful squares. I had to force reboot the system and after that it was all good. So I played some more. But the next day the same thing happened. Now after a reboot I get wired horizontal stripes on my monitors. Exactly like this:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NrzYGFsMnmk/maxresdefault.jpg

All signs point towards a gpu fail. So I bought a new one for cheap ( gtx 960) and wanted to install that. But it turned out to be not that easy. Heres my theory why:

I have an asus p9x79 deluxe mainboard that I bought in march 2012. It hasnt had a bios flash since then. My gpu is the 780 that I bought about a year later I think. Still kind of old too.
The 960 that I have now seems to be unrecognized by my mainboard. It does get powered, but it doesnt output any video signal.

About a year after I bought my mainboard asus changed the data structure of its mbs bios from .rom to .cap. I suppose my current bios is still .rom. I already located the rom to cap converter for my bios and the latest .cap bios version and I can update both those things using an easy flash usb port on my mainboard.

My question is: you reckon after that update the new gpu will get recognized and output video?

THanks

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Generally You don't need to update the bios to get the video card to work, though it looks like they may have supported uEFI in that update, I didn't read too far. I'd say go ahead, if it works, cool! If not, well...

Check the card is fully seated and the power cables are properly plugged in, try different video ports or cables. Test on a different display if you can.