Home Career & Education

Tipps about starting my 3d artist career ;)

Footloose93
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Footloose93 polycounter lvl 2
Hey anyone :blush:

My name is Toby and I want to tell you some little details about me first.
Currently I am studying about 3D Design (making Game Design Documents).
Also I am something in Java and C#, which I need for Unity, which is the Game Engine
I want to use.

But after all I like to learn how to make impressive 3D Models for my games.
I already used Blender for a year, tried some days in the Substance Painter and so on.

Why I want to learn that too? I already learn Design and some programming?

Because I am really impressed of these 3D Models some of you made.
Anyway, I want to be able to understand the needs and the workflow of a
3d artist to fit my design documents for them too, not just for programmers.
Also I want to be able to create some 3D Models for me and for a first look on my game ideas.

I already know some stuff about it and of course there are tons of tutorials out there.
But it would help me very much to get some opinions from you, what is the best way to really get started.

So, finally  o:), I want to ask you:

Which modelling programm is the best for me?
I know Blender quite well, but I don't think it is the ideal tool. Don't ask me why, I guess
I think there are more efficient workflows in other programms.

Also I don't like 3DsMax that much. I mean, I would give it a try if you all tell me, but for me
the interface looks like a part of a... car crash...

I also tried ZBrush. I like this programm, even when it is something different from the others.

But you need to know, I really hate it to create UV Maps. This is the worst part of it all I think.

Anyway, I guess there is no way around it.

So what I understand so far is that I want to make Low Poly Models (but they should look really detailed later).
Then I want to use the normal map to increase the details with sculpting and texturing.
Next I want to give Sculptris a trial (There is a 15day trial avaiable), I think I can create a good one in this
programm. For texturing I just used the Substance Painter until now.

A few moments ago I head about "Modo" and "Mari" for creating, which looks quite interesting.

Well, enough of telling.

Again in short words what I want:
Which programms do you prefer for:
- Low Poly Meshes / High Poly Meshes
- Sculpting
- Texturing

I don't want to start a big discussion here, it is just for me to know
the best way. For example for creating impressive space ships with the
most efficient way.

Best Regards,
Toby  ;)

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    the wiki is a fine place to  start: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polycount

There are going to be lots of opinions on what is best- I'd say pick one that looks appealing  and  dive in.  Come to terms that you are going to suck at it, but remember what Jake had to say about sucking

explore fail/succeed repeat
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    You'll want some foundations in design, because no job in art will not have you having to make some sort of design decisions. You'll be surprised at how many one sided concepts you'll have to model from.

Second, start by choosing something you really want to make, then make it to the best of your ability, and finish it. Even if it doesn't look good to start (or maybe it will) but you'll have a starting point and you'll know where you need to improve.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low Poly Meshes / High Poly Meshes  - 3DS Max
    Sculpting - ZBrush
    Texturing - Substance
  • Footloose93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Footloose93 polycounter lvl 2
    Oh okay :)

Thanks for these fast answers ;)
    @ "low odor" : Your image is totaly right.
    That is always the same. I will also take a look in the wiki.

@ "Vertrucio":
    "You'll want some foundations in design, because no job in art will not have you having to make some sort of design decisions. You'll be surprised at how many one sided concepts you'll have to model from."

I am a design guy first. But I don't like the way the design ideas/concepts I have seen so far.
    Not because of ideas, but because of the style they use. I would like to write the document in a way, that the people who
    need to work with it can easily read and use it, not the publisher ones if you know what I mean.
    Or I missunderstood you ;)

@Ryan B:
    First: Nice game (Speed Freeks) you have there ;)
    And thanks for your opinion. I will install and try 3DS Max now.
    And ZBrush... And Substance ;)
    It will take until tomorrow, I am lucky that I already have licences from
    my university.

Thanks again,
    Best Regards, Toby