Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback - Prop Artist

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Bigglesworth greentooth

Hey guys! Yet another man is trying to become prop artist! I don’t have much experience, and I didn’t work in game companies before. But I made this portfolio in my spare time.

Alpinsky.com

There are some game companies in my town, but they told me “Sorry, you’re not good enough”. (Except one. One company sent me a test task. I’m working on it right now. But this task is really huge. I doubt I’ll make it in time). So now my only option is to find outsourcing studio with remote employees. Like this one http://fox3d.com/ maybe.

My question is: Is it possible to find a job with my folio? Is it good content, or is it too primitive? 

PS: I stole design from this guy: http://www.jonascg.com/ Thank you, Jonas.

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Out of curiosity, did the other studios actually explicitly say you're not good enough? Because a "no" can just as likely mean "We don't need another prop artist right now."

Anyways, most of your stuff looks very solid to me. The root scene seems a bit weaker than the others, so I'd probably drop that. On the couch, there's a bit too much contrast between the sculpted and non-sculpted areas of wood, so it doesn't really feel like it's carved from one piece.
  • Bigglesworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigglesworth greentooth
    Meloncov said:
    Out of curiosity, did the other studios actually explicitly say you're not good enough? Because a "no" can just as likely mean "We don't need another prop artist right now."
    Thanks for your feedback, Meloncov!
    Those studios had vacancies "3d artist".  One of them told me "we have a better candidate". Another one "Your portfolio is nice, but you don't have necessary experience in game industry". And third one just changed their mind "We thought we need an artist, but actually we don't. Goodbye".
    I think i'll keep root in my portfolio because this is the only one Unity3D project i have. 
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    It's good enough, especially the props. The problem might be the with companies you're applying to. Small companies might not have a qualified reviewer, or it may be biased, or the ones that call the shots are in management, not art, so they might question your ability to deliver on time (since you haven't worked in a studio before). Maybe add a more complex hard surface model, with normal map baking, variety in texture and workflows that are heavily in-use now. But what you have is definitely good enough (except the root scene, you could maybe update that).
  • Bones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bones polycounter lvl 15
    You shouldn't only look in your town for jobs. Especially, in this industry you should be willing to move to other cities and/or countries.
  • Tomtegubbe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomtegubbe triangle
    I'm no employer but I think your props might look a bit simplistic, good but simplistic. A far more complex prop that shows that you're able to make about anything when it comes to hard surface modeling might be a good idea. Not just a bunch of cubes either, something that is actually aesthetically pleasing to look at. Maybe you could create something that is steampunk, they tend to be fairly complex.