Home Technical Talk

Hard Edges are displayed wrong!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
RedlChris-_- polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone, I still have an issue with my hard edges :( If I Harden one Edge with the Harden Edge Tool in the Edge Properties Section, it displays me the hard edges as a green edge correctly (picture1). But if I select the hard edges with the hard edge selection tool, it is selecting all the edges around the one edge, which was shown green before (picture2) :( Hope you can help me! Greets Christoph

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    This might be a limitation of Smoothing groups, as the new harden edge tool in the new 3dsmax still makes use of them. Select a polygon, then convert to edge border (Shift + click on face mode in Command panel), then harden the new edge selection - is the selection unexpected?
  • RedlChris-_-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hardened edges should look like this (picture)! I don't get why 3ds Max is that complicated in this behaviour comparing to Maya. Do you know any tricks to completely clean up all the smoothing groups and harden them again manually? Thanks!
    Christoph
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    In 3ds max you cannot harden an edge like in maya, you need to make a face selection and change the smoothing group on those.
    To remove all smoothing group for an object you can select all the polygons on the object, go to the smoothing group panel and press clean all
  • RedlChris-_-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thanks! But how can I create the hard edges there again? Do I have to select the faces around the "green line" and hit my prefered smoothing group then? Can I put all edges into one smoothing group? That would be my favorite may.
    Greets Christoph
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    You can select faces around the green line and put them in one smoothing group, then select adjacent set of faces in another green line and put them on a different smoothing group (only edges from different smoothing groups are hardened) and so on. Or you can use the Harden Edge tool like you used on that one edge, but on the whole selection of edges as you want it...
  • RedlChris-_-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thanks! So when using the Harden Edge tool, ALL edges, that need to be hard have to be selected at the same time, right? :)
    Thanks for the help!
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Not at the same time, you can do it one by one, or in groups of selections, or all, or how many you want
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Tits said:
    In 3ds max you cannot harden an edge like in maya, you need to make a face selection and change the smoothing group on those.
    To remove all smoothing group for an object you can select all the polygons on the object, go to the smoothing group panel and press clean all
    by now you can, but behind the scenes there are still smoothinggroups at play
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    @Neox You can harden edge in 3ds max? Which version are you using?
  • RedlChris-_-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FINALLY got it !!!! :) thank you so much! LIVESAVER! Now I understand the whole logic behind those smoothing groups :)