Home Adobe Substance

Inverted normals when openig FBX

Im trying to import my lowpoly model to bake it with my highpoly. However the normals are inverted on the mesh so im not getting anywhere. I use 3ds max 2017 and substance painter 2.4.1. In the export settings i have checked "Tangens and Bionormals". And as you can see, the UV is fine. I've also checked if there was any inverted normals in 3ds max, they were not. So the problem is whenever I start the new project.

Replies

• Nars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nars polycounter lvl 6
    You can try using a Normal modifier (and collapse) in Max.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Did you reset xforms in Max? If you use the Mirror function, it applies a negative scale on the object, which looks fine on the viewport but it flips the normals once you collapse it.
  • Ikben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikben null
    In Max, open your uv editor map.  On the map there is a pull down menu to "select inverted polygons" or something like that.  Select them.  Manipulate inverted polygons by flipping, or moving by each polygon.  Fix them until no other polygons can be selected as inverted.  Export your FBX or obj again and use that in Substance or whatever.  I don't know about what Mars said.  Bruno has something.  But I had the same problem, and fixed it so.