Home Technical Talk

Which Enigne to focus on?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
RedlChris-_- polycounter lvl 7
Hello everyone, I am at the beginning of my jounrey becoming a 3D-Environment-Artist. So the one question I am asking myself is, on which engine for level-building I should focus on? Unity, Unreal or CryEngin? Should I only focus on one? Or learn all three, but not so in-depth? It's a hard struggle for me, because they are all having their pros and cons. Hope you can help! :)
Greets
Christoph

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Typically, you see environment artists using UE4 on Polycount. Unreal Engine is definitely more artist friendly and has a great environment workflow, especially compared to Unity and CryEngine. But all engines have their own pros and cons, CryEngine might be a good choice if you want an outdoor scene where you change the time of day. Unreal Engine and Unity both have market places if you want to try to make some money making assets to sell. 

Unreal Engine is pretty commonly used for AAA games (and gaining popularity in the indie market), so if that's your goal, it's definitely a plus to have experience in an engine that the studio uses. CryEngine isn't as widely used by studios, and Unity very popular in the mobile and indie space.