Home Career & Education

the future of 3d modeling/modelers

annah847
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
annah847 polycounter lvl 2
hello everyone,

So I am an art student who wants to go into 3d modeling and texturing for environments. I have been working hard to create a portfolio and all, but recently I was told that 3d modeling for environments or props would not be a good career choice because of websites like turbosquid, and the fact that other countries have people that will make 3d models at a  cheaper rate than here in America.  I have been told that character modeling would be the smarter choice if I really want to get a job as a 3d modeler. I would just like to get some more opinions. Would trying to become an environment artist be an unwise choice, considering future job prospects? Will the demand for environment and prop artists drop?

Thank you.

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    annah847 said:
    hello everyone,

So I am an art student who wants to go into 3d modeling and texturing for environments. I have been working hard to create a portfolio and all, but recently I was told that 3d modeling for environments or props would not be a good career choice because of websites like turbosquid, and the fact that other countries have people that will make 3d models at a  cheaper rate than here in America.  I have been told that character modeling would be the smarter choice if I really want to get a job as a 3d modeler. I would just like to get some more opinions. Would trying to become an environment artist be an unwise choice, considering future job prospects? Will the demand for environment and prop artists drop?

Thank you.
    In my experience there will always be a need for good environment artists. To get a job as a character artist you need some serious skills and a lot of luck. Most studios already have some set character artists but the environment/prop artist teams are usually bigger thus having more spots available.  Most art for triple-A titles however are made inside the studio or outsourced to an art outsourcing company. If I were you I'd just focus making props and environments, don't worry about what people say regarding turbosquid, to me they just sound inexperienced in the industry.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's actually harder to break into the industry as a character artist, because there's more competition there. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the job for environment artists going away. Even if the job of making assets goes away, environment artists could move into photogrammetry, level design, set dressing, tech art, material/shader artists, art lead, etc. Just keep up with new tech, and try new things, and you'll always have a job. 
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    What will go away in AAA, because it's not sustainable, is the hardcore do-it-all-from-scratch approach. Future artists will need to be able to use smart tools which save time, but which also take away some of the "art" involved. E.g. procedural textures, photogrammetry, simulated cloth, etc. You will still be expected to have the skills to do everything manually, but you will also need a solid knowledge of using advanced tools. Even outsourcers are now feeling this pressure as it's no longer feasible to add more hours or people to a project who can ZBrush a piece of cloth to perfection from scratch.

Basically what Zac said: keep up with new tech, and try new things, and you'll always have a job.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, realism is not the only path. Painterly style is not going away, and cannot use photogrammetry. Painterly requires strong artistic skills, and remains in high demand. Regardless of character or environment or fx or etc.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    " I was told that 3d modeling for environments or props would not be a good career choice because of websites like turbosquid"

Here a simple way to put this to the test. Buy a recent game (Watch Dogs 2, Dishonored 2, CoD), select a level of your choice ... and try to find the assets on Turbosquid.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    yeah don't worry about sites like turbosquid, if something it's outsourcing that might take away jobs, but that has been around for a long time, there are always a core group of environment artist at a studio doing the building etc, actually at some of my recent freelance positions, what I have seen is that there have been a core environment artist team + freelance environment artists, but there has only been freelance character artists + in house character rigging and animation artists, so the opposite exists as well.

Do what you love and do it well and you will get on the right path.
  • annah847
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    annah847 polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you all for your replies, I was starting to feel a bit conflicted, but I will focus more on improving  my skills, as well as keep up with the new emerging software, so I am able to work more efficiently. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hmmmm,...... I always though it was the opposite situation. I thought more environment artists were needed to produce a game. But I would agree with Jonas, do what you love!
  • Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    I would echo some comments already in that the way i which modelling is done will change, in many ways it already has.
    The 'do-it-all-from-scratch' is going away, but still has it's place depending on the subject matter. We work alot with CAD, so that approach essentially becomes counter productive.

Also studios will over time, accumulate assets which they will obviously try and reuse. Obviously some things will work better than others.

Outsourcing has been around for some time and is certainly a sound option for wanting volumes of assets being created. Some modelling has been retained in-house by a core time, but there's now more responsibility of bringing assets together and making them work.
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    @annah847
    Turbosquid is 15 years old and I don't see huge decline of jobs because you can buy some props there.

3d is no different from other IT branches, it
    evolves and you have to learn constantly.  Look back at 2013, only 3 years passed. People were texturing in photoshop and Quixel were just making first steps. Now whole studios use Substance Painter only and it saves hundreds of working days. Same with Marvelous and character artists. Same will happen again and again in every aspect of production.
    You learn constantly - you'll have a job. If you want to be prop artist I dont see problem in it, games grow bigger, more objects, more details.

>other countries have people that will make 3d models at a  cheaper rate than here in America

It is called economy. I'm in Ukraine and if you think I can find a job with US hourly rate here you are god damn wrong.  A lot of stuff will be outsourced, but still a lot will be produced in-house, especially more important and nice things.